Dwarf Ram cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I seem to not keep Dwarf Ram cichlids. I have tried to keep many of the with them dying within 2 months. I bought 6 baby [1 inch] rams in 10-2021 from a breeder in my area. Everything was going well. They were eating and showing great color. Than 1-2022 I noticed one was missing. Same month another missing. Within 2 months all were gone. They were being kept with bows Rainbows and Millennial bows and A few dwarf plecos. I read that they like a temp of 83. My tank is 78-79. Water is 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates. Ammonia is 0. 7,8 ph. Water changes 8 gals every 7-10 days. 40 gal tank heavily planted double filtered. The tank mates are all at least one year in tank. Can't figure it out. I'm chalking it up to some fish cannot be kept.

Attachments

• tank_8654ex copy.jpg
    tank_8654ex copy.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 15
  • tank_8644 copy.jpg
    tank_8644 copy.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 24
As per your previous thread. Your water temperature is a little on the low side for blue rams.

You might have better luck with bolivian rams which are more suited to the water temperature you have. Or set up a tank with blue rams in mind and stock other fish around the needs of the rams.

Rams

Thanks so much.I would like to try bolivian rams. But How would I know if I am getting real Bolivians? I see many different rams in fish stores. there are some that say Bolivian but look like all the others. Thanks

It's possible the Rainbows are just way too fast for your Rams. Having had both species in the past (not together) I can tell you that the Rainbows are voracious eaters and it would be hard for the Rams to compete with them for food.

Gilpi Thanks. It could be. I watched those rainbows scarf down bloodworm like spaghetti. Maybe the rams didn't get enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom