Dying heater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, sod's law, my heater's on it's way out, so my poor SFF and Shrimp are in for a cold night... :(

I found out when I noticed the tank felt cooler than it should be (getting a new thermometer tomorrow!!!), and I checked the fuse in the plug, that was fine, so I pulled the heater out of the tank, shook it and it came to life!!! So, I need a new one, cos if the thermostat got stuck in the off position, it's highly likely that it could get stuck in the on position, killing my poor SFF and shrimp, which I really do not want to happen... :(

So that's more money to spend tomorrow, typical eh? :rolleyes:

So, my shopping list:
50W Heater
Activated Carbon
Thermometer

And whatever else takes my fancy... :lol:

Actually, speaking of heaters, what about those heat mats usually used for plants or reptiles, could they be used to keep an aquarium warm? :confused:

Just seems to me to be a bit of a risk to have tubes with electricity running through them inside the tank underwater, and with some cheap glass ones going pop... :scrambleup:

No they just wont do the trick. heat from the bottom of the substrate would have to work awfully hard to warm the water.

There are many brands made of plastic or stainless that are completely submersible with no glass to be broken.

No they just wont do the trick. heat from the bottom of the substrate would have to work awfully hard to warm the water.

There are many brands made of plastic or stainless that are completely submersible with no glass to be broken.

Ah well, it was just a thought... :)

I'll see what the pet shop has in the way of heaters tomorrow, hopefully not glass ones, they make me uneasy... :silly:

Back
Top Bottom