eekk fish might be dieing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
purple_rose said:
its a triangle tank. its 28 cm at the back.

Do you know the gallons? We've got some work to do...bettas alone need 10 gallon tanks...not even mentioning the goldfish yet.

Do you have any friends or family with an established tank who can re-home your fish? Is it possible to take them back to the store? We've definitely got a rough situation here and we need to step back and start over if possible. We want the best for your fish.

i read the link you posted but dont really understand any of those levels and stuff. im using one of those kits where you put a little bit of water in it and then put 5 drops of this blue stuff in it and it comes back with a colour then i match the colour with the colour on this colour strip.
i really dont know much about all this kinda stuff. feel kinda dumb >.<

Im confused!! what dont u understand about the "levels and stuff"? i know 5 drops is for the one for NO2.....and the 3 drops test is for the pH. I think like eco said...u need to get a good test kit, everyone uses API FW(freshwater) test kit very accuarte if done right.
Also like eco said, if u can move him to another tank by himslef or with compatible fish do it, so then u wont have to be doin pwc like everyday if u do a fishless cycle which is very recommended.

At this point, I think you need to either take the Betta back to the store, or find someone who can provide a good home for our fish. You need to do your homework before you get a fish. Next time, cycle your tank, it cod take up to two or three months but it's worth it I the log run. Sorry!

thank you for your compassoinate replys and understanding responses to my worry and consideration! ive tried looking after my fish and to read from people that i cant even look after them. i wont be coming back on this site for advice if people cant even be nice!!!

purple_rose said:
thank you for your compassoinate replys and understanding responses to my worry and consideration! ive tried looking after my fish and to read from people that i cant even look after them. i wont be coming back on this site for advice if people cant even be nice!!!

Who was rude to you? Everyone has been trying to help you and your fish. Please don't take it personally if we explain that there are definitely problems with your situation and we make recommendations to try and remedy those issues.

I know some things are hard to hear, but nobody blames you personally...and we want you to learn the things that are necessary to keep healthy fish in your home.

If you decide that you no longer want to be a member on this site, please do me a personal favor and print out the guide I linked to you in my second post. Get yourself a quality test kit( like an API master kit,) and try to research what it takes to successfully cycle a tank when you have fish.

We all want to help and make sure your fish survive the process. I don't believe anyone said you are unable, it was simply said that you have received some bad information before coming to this site and have some important things to learn if you want your aquarium to thrive and your fish to be healthy. Every member here has learned things we didn't know before joining, and our fish are better because of the knowledge we've gained.

Most people here are very nice, sometimes its hard to give advice and not seem rude though :)

Here is a very important point about gold fish.

First, they are a cold water fish, bettas are tropical, warm water fish. They have different needs to live a happy life.

The second problem is that goldfish grow very large and your tank is way too small for it to live in for very long.

It is important you find a new home for the goldfish right away.

It is also important, like eco said, to do 50% or more water change everyday until your cycling is complete.

The trouble is, you can't find out when the tank is done cycling (healthy for fish) unless you have a quality liquid drop test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

If you can't get a liquid test kit right away, it is important to find a new home for the gold fish right away, and begin changing half the water everyday.

purple_rose said:
i just dont want to be attacked. im a learner, i dont know much about levels and all of that. =[

Sorry to add, but i believe goldfish are coldwater and bettas are tropical, therefore a tank housing both fish generally isn't a good idea

In order to be able to help you further (and I hope that you view everyone who's in here now as nice and helpful), do you have a filter on the tank? Something that sucks up the water through a filter pad and spits it back out?

eco23 said:
In order to be able to help you further (and I hope that you view everyone who's in here now as nice and helpful), do you have a filter on the tank? Something that sucks up the water through a filter pad and spits it back out?

I believe he said his betta was hiding under his fiter, so i'm assuming yes. We're here to help, not offend you so please take all of this advice into consideration, it's all for you happiness as well as your fish's

shadowstars123 said:
I believe he said his betta was hiding under his fiter, so i'm assuming yes. We're here to help, not offend you so please take all of this advice into consideration, it's all for you happiness as well as your fish's

In another thread by the OP, he states there is not a filter...I'm trying to make sure one has been added.

I'm on the US east coast, so I'm heading to bed...but I just wanted to review what the best steps to help you and your fish are

- Do daily 50% or larger water changes (pwc's) every day, always using a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime

- Try to find a new home for your goldfish since the tank will be too small for him and he won't be happy with your Betta

- Buy a good quality test kit like an API Master Test Kit...don't buy paper strips, make sure it's a liquid test kit

- Do all the research you can on the nitrogen cycle in aquariums, and particularly cycling with fish (the guide I linked will help tremendously)

- When you can get your test results, post what you find here and we'll walk you through what to do

- If you can find a new home for your fish, try to do a "fishless cycle" once your tank is empty. I'll be happy to help, I do it every day :)

Don't leave Aquarium Advice, everyone is here to help you through this; don't take it personally. Eco has some awesome advice for your aquarium

Back
Top Bottom