Electromagnetic pollution from AquaClear filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
Don't be panic from the title - I guess it has minor effects on fishes than on human.

I used a newly purchased TriField Meter to check Electromagnetic pollution at home. The reading of magnetic field is high near my pc - confirm my doubt about it - about 6 milligauss (less than 3 milligauss is considered to be safe based on very preliminary research, and above 3 should be avoided for long term exposure,) but it reachs 100 milligauss on top of an old AC mini filter and 6 milligauss at distance of 2 feet.

Strangely, on top of a new AC 70/500 filter it reads 25 milligauss, and 3 milligauss at distance of 2 feet, although the AC 70/500 filter is bigger and more powerful than the AC mini.

The background magnetic field is high (4-5) around the floor where the tank using the AC mini stands. The position of the AC mini may also results a high reading - my guess but not sure.

My suggestion is when you watch your fishes, don't get too close to the filter and don't put the tank too close to your seat.

I don't have other filters to do test, and I still love my AC filters.

less than 3 milligauss is considered to be safe based on very preliminary research

Very preliminary. There seems to be very little to support the whole scare that went on a few years back. I work around much stronger electrical fields all day and have for the better part of 18 years. There does not appear to be a significant increase in cancer cases for people in my industry over the general public. I wish I could quote the source of that info but I have no idea where the article is, it was in one of our journals a year or so ago.

I think it is still safe to watch your fish.

maybe because the impellar is magnetic??? lol wild guess lol I don't know anything about magnetic fields and all that, I just know about the gauss because of the ?Myth busters LOL

3 milliauss!? It is such a small small amount... I frequently visit MRI rooms, and those are either 1.5T or 3T. 1 mgauss = 10,000,000T... I don't have headaches, twitches, or problems sleeping yet, although, I do seem to attract a lot of mosquitos.

For comparison,

flourescent lights = 160-200milligauss....@ 1 inch.
electric razors/hairdryers 200-400...

I guess this IS a big deal is Sweden/europe... huh.

I suspect if you were to check any filter, you would see a similar reading. That's just the way motors work. We live and work near them all the time. CD players, aquarium filters, flouresent lights, power packs, etc, will all give off a strong EM field.

Hmmmm. I wonder how electromagnetic pollution has affected me.

In my lifetime, I have had over 100 CT scans, 50 MRIs, hundreds of xrays, several EEGs, and even wires stuck to my skull to read my brain's electric output.

I have never been told of a risk of electromagnetic pollution.

There's no good data on harm of electromagnetic fields...in fact the World Health Organization's report more or less says the research is crap and people need to do more to really talk about making guidelines. (It also has a lovely line about governments needing to make their laws based on "strong science" (I'm assuming that's directed aimed at the EU!) It talks more about minimizing exposure for worker who are exposed to way more electromagnetic fields than most of us would be in our daily lives. (One MRI facility easily sees 8 patients a day so those workers would be exposed to 40 scans worth a week etc...) I'd think most of us can not worry too much about this... :)

fish 'n' fries said:
(One MRI facility easily sees 8 patients a day so those workers would be exposed to 40 scans worth a week etc...)

Not really...radiologists are always shielded when performing CTs, MRIs, and x-rays.

Well actually it may not be so easily dismissed as some in this thread suggest. My chemistry professor, Dr. Wood, worked inside an elctromagnet for periods for little over a few years. At the time, people would ask him if it was all right to build a house next to power lines or say next to those boxes on telephones poles, I forget their name. Anyway, he would he say its ok since he works inside an electromagnet and nothing happens to him. That was then, but now he is dealing with profound side-effects such as bone density loss. He also stated, although wouldnt elaborate, about certain brain wave issues or something of that nature. I'm not saying the magent caused these problems, but his physicians and doctors with him and his family all support the idea baout who the culprit is- the magnet.

My point is no matter where you are, electrical appliances by default generate magnetic and electrical fields, which at certain intensities can be harmful. In fact, being dosed over time can become dangerous, as my story demonstrates. And yes, given the amount generates in gausses by common eletcrical wires I can safely say that what author of this thread appears correct.

The unbiased publications weould probably speak out on this topic. I subscribe to Chemical and Engineering News, which is not available at Barnes and Noble, but is EXTREMELY insightful and full of wonderful articles. Electrical engineeres have their own similar publications which would yield a wealth of data on this subject. The World Health Organization is biased- which is hazardous when appealing to scientists cause we are taught to detest "leanings", whetehr they be political at the EU, or otherwise.

Good advice and thanks for putting this issue up. I study physics at college, taking the 300 and 400 level courses and I have done compuations confirming those very readings you stated for like electrical lines and stuff. I just never connected the dots. Thanks for illuminating this issue. It is certainly one to be kept in mind!

Sorry for the long thread- I usually don't do this, but I found this to be a fascinating bit.

I'm a graduating physics major, on the way to graduate school. I'm not really sure why people freak out so much about all of this. Light is electromagnetic waves. So maybe I should not turn on any lights in my house to avoid electromagnetic pollution? The intensity of an electromagnetic field in a research magnet is not in any way comparable to that of a filter.

Tell that to all the people who use magnet therapy. Maybe they're going to turn out to develop cancer on their wrists from wearing those bracelets around...

That's different from what is being described. Besides, this is not an arena for online arguments about physics. I gewnuinely feel that the author of the thread has a legit point while all I attempted to do was relate one story to the context of the discussion. The point of the is fish filters not magnets. The author took some readings and who can deny them. So I will keep his advice in mind regarding fish filters.

I don't really think that the health issues of your professor is a good sampling of people who are subjected to em fields. Certainly there is the strong possibility that he may have developed these health issues in spite of his work.

I'll submit this. I'm an electrician, I belong to a local of ~1000 people. The typical electrician in our local works ~35 years. We are subjected to large fields more frequently than lets say a housewife. According to our insurance department our members show no increased incidence of cancer or any other illness for that matter than the rest of the country. I would think that if the answer to this whole topic was an easy yes, we would see a rise in illness from long term exposure.

My example may be flawed but I think at best the jury is still out on this one.

Toirtis said:
Not really...radiologists are always shielded when performing CTs, MRIs, and x-rays.

MRIs actually never stop completely in normal function. Whenever you go into the MRI room, the magnetic field is still running (for example, my ID badge, on its metal chain will swing toward the magnet), so there is exposure everytime you take a patient in. CTs and x-rays are a completely different issue. The radiation exposure does have documented health risks from cumulative exposure and as such docs try to minimize unnecessary studies...

I just find it hard to imagine that when there's no good evidence of problems from exposure to that strong a magnet field that any exposure from the filter could be relevant...

fish 'n' fries said:
Toirtis said:

MRIs actually never stop completely in normal function. Whenever you go into the MRI room, the magnetic field is still running (for example, my ID badge, on its metal chain will swing toward the magnet), so there is exposure everytime you take a patient in. CTs and x-rays are a completely different issue. The radiation exposure does have documented health risks from cumulative exposure and as such docs try to minimize unnecessary studies...

I just find it hard to imagine that when there's no good evidence of problems from exposure to that strong a magnet field that any exposure from the filter could be relevant...

That's all I was trying to say :)

fish 'n' fries said:
MRIs actually never stop completely in normal function. Whenever you go into the MRI room, the magnetic field is still running (for example, my ID badge, on its metal chain will swing toward the magnet), so there is exposure everytime you take a patient in.

True, but the field is greatly reduced in strength at those times, and when at full strength, the radiologist/tech is shielded, so exposure during 'down times' is minimal compared to full-on, sustained exposure.

[quote="Toirtis]True, but the field is greatly reduced in strength at those times, and when at full strength, the radiologist/tech is shielded, so exposure during 'down times' is minimal compared to full-on, sustained exposure.[/quote]

Agreed, but running MRIs are 100000 times the electromagnetic field of the earth. Not running I'm not sure, but must be much more than most electromagnetic fields folks are exposed to.

I was just using it as a comparison of higher exposure rates than normal that haven't shown any ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom