encouraging algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cash Turtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
how can i encourage algea to grow in a ten gallon? im getting a couple apple snails and want to breed them and i've read that the babies will survive better if there is algea in teh tank so that thay wont have to look far for food

You can have mine. j/k. Actually I am not if I could find a way I would send it to you.

Try upping the light. Maybe add some PO4 and NO3.

Get some hardy fish to produce waste that the algae will use to grow, increase light, and don't change your water too frequently.

You'll find it very easy to grow algae!

Algae should be easy to grow, most experiments say that phosphorus is the limitating factor to control algae.. I guess if you add more phosphorus, leaving the other factors like lighting and nutrients the same, you will get an algae bloom.

Then proabably your next question will be how to control the algae to lesser amount.. Since the algae will grow several times more rapidly than your snails can consume.. :lol:

Algae should be easy to grow, most experiments say that phosphorus is the limitating factor to control algae.. I guess if you add more phosphorus, leaving the other factors like lighting and nutrients the same, you will get an algae bloom.

Then proabably your next question will be how to control the algae to lesser amount.. Since the algae will grow several times more rapidly than your snails can consume.. :lol:

I think I just have the feeling that it won't grow just becuase i actually want it to grow now. Im going to put a flouresnt fixture with one of my old reptile uvb lights over teh tank to see if that will help and maybe i'll put some of the guppy fry that I want to keep in that tank .

Hi Brant, no algae? maybe you can have some of mine once it starts getting out of control :lol: j/k

I am not incredibly familiar with the UV lights used by reptile keepers, but plants want light in the red and blue regions of the spectrum for photosynthesis. YOu could also move the aquarium in front of a window! Lots of people that have problems with algae in their aquaria find out that it is not a good idea to put their aquarium in front of a window if you want to keep algae away.

Usually, it's harder to get algae NOT to grow. Just leave the fluorescent tank light on 16 hours/day and it should green up pretty well.

Just leave the fluorescent tank light on 16 hours/day and it should green up pretty well.

Correct. Or increase the light and add an air stone or 2 to exhaust all Co2. I've seen this setup at the LFS to make green water (infusiora?) for the reef tanks.

You can also do this in a seperate tube so your water will stay clear and you can add a couple of drops of green water to feed them every so often.. just a thought, tho the green water will also protect the fry against predators, the extended or high light will cause them some harm as most fry are more sensitive to light (at least tetra fry are).

Back
Top Bottom