Ensure safe change of tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podge387

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can i help to make the transfer of tanks more easy for the fish making sure the two tanks are as similar as possible i guess any ideas would be great thanks.

Using all of the same water or at least most of it. Also, if there's a way to not net them (such as using cups or containers) to put into the other tank that should be less stressful for them.

If you can set up the 30 gal and keep it going for a couple weeks and let it cycle, that would be the best way to go about it. If not, be sure to fill the tank 2/3 of the way full with new water, use the same substrate that you are using in the 10 gal, hook the filtration unit up to the 30 gal that was used on the 10 gal in addition to the new filtration unit and transfer them. The best way to not stress your fish when you are netting them is to remove all plants, heater, fitration unit from the tank and anything else that will get in your way. Use the largest net that you have and slowly move it across the tank, don't chase. We bought a 12 inch net that fits perfectly inside of our 55. It helps reduce chasing.

Are you short on time to make this transfer or do you have a little while? What fish do you keep? And what types of filters are you using for your 10 gallon and 30 gallon? I set up a 35 gallon tank a couple months ago and it worked out great with no problems at all, so maybe I can help you. I bought a new HOB filter and I ran it on one of my other tanks for about 4 weeks (you could probably get by with 2 or 3 weeks if you need to), in addition to the filter that was already there. Then I set up the new tank and added the filter, and transferred the fish. I didn't change over the substrate but if you did it would probably be helpful. If you do it that way you won't have much of a cycle at all, but do test your water for a couple weeks just to be safe and be sure to keep up on water changes. 8)

As of tonight at 7:15 the fish from the 55 have been transfered to the new 150. We'll see how it goes.

Cool FF! :mrgreen: You are so lucky to get a deal on that new tank. I wish I could have one but my house is much too small.

HAHA, our apt is way too small for it. As you can see from the pic, it takes up almost the entire wall. And you can also see my little Nemo sleeping on the chair next to the tank. We may have to leave the chair there for him because he can not longer jump onto the top of the tank like he could with the 55.

The thing I've found with finding great deals on tanks is to look around, ALOT, and to always have extra money on hand to upgrade if you come across a deal like this. AND, I just bought a canopy for the 55 and when I went to the lfs I told the woman that I found one for $50 from another store (which I really did) and she dropped the price to $45. It's all about bargining.

Well, there's really not much bargaining to be done here. We only have 1 LFS and a Petsmart. Our Petsmart does price match tho, so I get the Big Al's prices on supplies without paying the shipping. :mrgreen: But I only buy my fish from my LFS. I wish I had money on hand for great deals, but I'm basically putting my BF through school right now with my crazy low-paying social service job. :roll: And I have 2 dogs in addition to the 5 tanks. OK, enough of my sob story and time to stay on topic... podge, did you transfer your fish yet?

*edited for 1 more sob story*... my car got vandalized this weekend and my deductible is so high that I just have to pay for it... :evil: :cry:

Severum- Sorry to hear about your car. :( I work for an insurance company and it is better to pay for minor (under $1,000) damages yourself because claims (even 1) will come back to bite you in the butt. They are on your record for 5 years!

We could get into a debate about who're more broke, me or you. HAHA. We only upgrade tanks beause HE has money, not me. I own the 5 gal because I bought it from Wal-Mart and used old decor and gravel. He gave me the 10 gal and then last week he gave me a new 55 gal. If it weren't for him, I'd only have the little 5 gal desk tank. I use the old stuff from his tanks because I don't want to buy new stuff. :D

I tried to do some barganing at PetCo but I ended up not taking the stand beacuse it was scratched. It was funny because I told the guy that I found one about 10 miles from there for $60 and theirs was listed at $100, so of course he said he'd price match it and when I pointed out the scratch he dropped it to $40. But, who wants a scratch on the front of their stand? I'd rather pay the extra $20 and get one that's in perfect condition

Back
Top Bottom