Ever had a fish eat itself to death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm kind of worried about my male gourami. He has a serious eating disorder. Not only has he been eating the food I out in for him, but also the wafers I put in for my cory. His gut gets seriously distended. I tried putting the wafers in at night while hes sleeping, but he always catches on. I don't want my cory to starve by not feeding him, so any suggestions?

I have the same problem with my angel. He is a PIG. Only now instead of just getting a round tummy when he eats, he is round all the time. He has gotten fat. I need to put him on a diet. I do know that fish can get fatty liver disease, wich will eventually cause death.

Fish just don't know when it's time to stop eating it seems. I put some extra flakes so that some sink to the bottom of the tank for my cories while my gourami is eating. I feed worms with a syringe. I put it near the cories and squeeze the syringe a little so the worms stick partly out and the cories suck them out. Maybe you can try that?

Feed the cory algae wafers, after lights out, or even an hour later, after the other fishb are sleeping. I have heard of pufferfish actually splitting open, but I believe that was after being fed frozen food!

Yes, many fish (goldfish in particular, in the case of a childs first fish) die due to overfeeding. Fish will eat whatever they can get. They either can't remember that they have already ate, or they just can't stop eating. It is up to owners and nature to make sure they get food, but not too much and not too little.

I am really sad. One of my Clown Loaches died and I fear it was becaues of overfeeding. :( I never feed more than they can clean up in a few minutes but the loach's belly was super distended. Could this be from anything else? It stinks I am really upset because of how cute he was (very active and used all the decor in the environment). I hate havign to flush fish and feel like I am just short of purposefully killing him since he didnt ask to be in my tank. He was one of my favorite fish too. :cry:

I have a big blue gourami that looks like he swallowed a marble. Some fish do get constipated and benefit from fresh veggies. You might try feeding the flake at one end of your tank and drop the tabs in the other. Some fish are just gluttons. I have an oscar that would eat a horse shoe if he could get it in his mouth.:D

I am thinking of just feeding the wafers, because as of right now I only have 1 cory and he takes a while to eat even a quarter of a wafer (which is what I usually drop in) If I feed the flakes at one end and wafers on the other, as soon as hes done with the flakes he goes straight to the wafer and begins picking at it and just won't stop.
But I'm beginning to think maybe something else is going on. The female today seems to have a little extended abdomen too. But maybe I'm just fishy hypochondriac :D

Ok one of my male tetras actually looks like he is splitting in half vertically. He is alive but I can see a red bloody line running along the exact bottom of his body. Please help! Is this from overfeeding? Recently I have only been feeding flake and wafers (he doesnt eat wafers). :(

my female betta ate so many pond snails which caused constipation which caused death.

I have the same problem with a male guppy. I would love to know what it is as well! He seems fine in every other respect. But the red line looks bad. He's had it for about a month and hasn't looked bad other than that, so I kinda stopped worrying about it.

I'm not going to net him every day, I think that would cause more problems than solve. I don't know how such a small fish could eat so dern much! And be so aggressive over it too.
I found one solution, is to feed my cory sinking granules that completely blend in with the substrate. That way my cory will find them during his usual rooting, and the gourami doesn't really see them (most of the time). Thats all I got for now lol

Back
Top Bottom