Everyone say about there first tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that somepeople dont like to talk about there first tank because of how embarrislinly ignorant they were about fish at the time

Ill go first

This issooo stupid'
Unheated 3 gallon hex, sponge filter and air pump with

1 neon and 1 albino cory

surprisingly enough, both fish lived for 4 years even though we didnt even cycle the tank! (we did use cycle but well you know what i mean...)

I was only 5 at the time so you cant blame me!

know its you peoples turn

I started out with aquaria, after I have already learned about the ecosystem lake, so I didn't really make any mistakes :oops: .

My family did though, when my brother got an aquarium years ago. They didn't cycle the tank, added all kinds of chemicals since the fish started to die, didn't change the water often enough, had lots of algae, but as far as I can remember even the neons he had in the tank all survived :lol: , until he didn't like aquariums anymore. He took a fish out of the tank, snuggled with it and couldn't understand that the fish didn't "like" that :cry: .

I started out with a betta in a vase, bought a 5 gal, added way too many fish, did no water testing or water changes. Lost fish like crazy, found AA, things improved dramatically.

I had countless tanks...but my first tank when I really got into it was a 10 gallon with , sadly, 2 weather loaches, 2 wasp fish, 3 bumblebee gobies, 1 black ghost knife, 1 redtail black shrak, and some other fish. WAYYYYYYoverstocked.

I sadly look back on those days.

Before that i hsd stuff like goldfish, or my 15 gallon with a blue gourami that lived for like 5 years and an 8 inch bullhead lol. What was sad was the gouramie was close to the size of my bullhead lol.

I believe it was a 10 gallon with swordtails, I had those for years. I never cycled my tanks and probably never will.

It was a 5 gallon with guppies (my first tank. It had no filter, no heater, nothing. I didn't even do water changes) and I got 2 females and 2 males. I didn't cycle ad didn't know what to do with the babies. They got really inbred. And since they were in such a small tank with such a large fish population they just stayed tiny eventually. My first bowl I shared with my sister when I was 3 (can't blame me though, I was still learning how to say yogurt.) We each got a betta and a feeder goldfish. The bettas were both male. They actually survived for longer than you'd think and were pretty peaceful

I was 13 and my 48 octagon became the QT for the meanest nastest african cichlid I have ever seen (it came out of my mom's boyfreinds tank after it went on a killing spree) it did fine in the tank..

oof! this is embarassing... I actually had a 1/2 gallon bowl and a goldfish that I won at a church's fundraising fair. I think I was 8? :oops: My next one was a 5 gallon betta tank when I was 13ish. Much better results with that one :)

School fair gold fish (feeders) Lived to a ripe old age of 9 months.
10G /w HOB filter. Pink plastic plants and blue gravel. No heater, changed the water maybe once a month.

Fish died, last fish I had till I was 25.

29 Gallon with 6 "assorted african" cichlids. 2 catfish and a pleco. Lost the pleco and 2 africans within 1 month and ended up buying two ten gallons to isolate 2 more of my africans. Did some research. Things got better. Later on ended up at AA and things got a million times better. Still have to work on my impulse buys though.

OMG. talk about first tanks?? I shouldve been reported to the humane society or something .. lol

I was 12, my aunt bought be a 10 gal "startup" kit. You know, it comes with that el-cheapo corner filter that takes cotton and charcoal with an aerator in it, a cheap glass look at it the wrong way and it breaks and electrocutes the fish heater, some cheap nasty gravel looked like caca, and 1 (yes one) green ittby bitty plant.

Anyways, at the corner of my street sits a very large fish/reptile/a little bit of everything for pets store.

Without ever knowing anything about cycling (for *$#('s sake I was 12, it was the early 90's!) I filled up the tank, let it settle for a day, and started filling it with fish. I specifically remember buying like 5 zebra danios, a pleco, snails, tiger barbs, gouramis, and some swordtails. I had like 20 fish in a 10 gallon....lol

Believe it or not though, I dont know if God was watching over my shoulders, I had very few deaths. I had the tank until I was about 16-17 and I still had my original pleco and a gourami. This was a time BEFORE computers and forums and Aquarium advice. It was like 1992. There were no helpful people around the world to guide you on "cycling" and "ammonia" and happy crappy like that.

Now Im 26 now, I bought a 55g fw about 3-4 years ago. I did tons of research before I bought my setup this time and did it the right way...err well there are so many "right ways" on this site though...lol

My first tank had me in tears for weeks! It really wasn't a tank. I was 6 or 7 yrs old at the time and I toke my mothers large glass cooking bowl down to the stream to catch tadpoles. I didn't know what they were at that time, but man I had alot of them. My next door neighbor told me they were "MAGIC FISH". He told me that if I keep thier water changed and give them plenty of light, they just might turn themselves into frogs. As like all kids, I loved playing with frogs. So I did exactly what he told me. Before I knew it, they started growing legs and were looking like frogs with tails. As a kid, That was amazing! Magic fish, No one in school has magic fish, so I decided to take them to school for show and tell. As I went to get on the bus, Mr. Grossnickle our bus driver said I couldn't bring the bowl on the bus because it may spill. He said that he would bring me a jar and lid when he came back to pick me up from school. That way, I could put them in and bring them into school tomarrow. Sounded great to me, so I walked them back over and sat the bowl on the porch, then got on the bus. When the day ended my bus driver had a mason jar with a lid just like he promised. But when the bus got to my house, guess what I found :?: :slurp:

Very first, if you want to call it a tank, was a plastic turtle setup when I was way younger, back in '66 or so. 2 little turtles lasted a few months tops, my dad & I had a little burial ceremony under a pine in the yard.

First real tank would be a 10 gallon back in '92, daughter wanted a tank. Just a few livebearers, with all the rookie mistakes involved. I just replaced that tank in the past year or so due to a leak, it still has livebearers, a few platys, though not the same ones from the beginning.

Tolak

10g "goldfish combo". Kept a small pleco, clown loach, and 3 neons. The loach got ich, the neons lived for a while. Eventually that tank housed 6 neons and the pleco. All those neons are dead, but that pleco is alive and well in my 55g.

Back
Top Bottom