everything is orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremebunny

Aquarium Advice Activist
I looked in my tank and there are dark orange/brown spots on everything (filter, decorations). Is this a type of algae? I wouldn't think algae would grow because there is no sunlight ever hitting the tank.

Pictures? Orange is a new one for me??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

tank has been going since December 10th ish?
I just read that they grow without light so you just have to keep cleaning and scrubbing them off. I have 4 catfish and they are all completely uninterested in eating it (although it takes them ages to find the regular food so I doubt they'd even find it)

Catfish im guessing ...cories? Regardless no wont eat them. Snails will but just manually attack during wc. They will go away. Part of the tank maturing. Not big deal unless plants get covered to the point photosynthesis can occur then just clean them.

You try squirting it with hydrogen peroxide?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't actually done any cleaning yet because while I can wash the plants, I can't clean off the gravel. I also haven't had time since I noticed this.

Yes those look like diatoms, they occur in newer tanks sometimes. You can remove your plants, scrub them with tap water, then rinse them with clean treated tank water before you put them back in your tank. You may want to go ahead and do a 50% water change also.

Yes this happened to my tank. It was 2 weeks old and I took out the items and scrubbed them free from the stuff. I did a PWC and in about two weeks it was completely gone. I had the stuff all over the fake plants and gravel. I have not encountered any since.

You do not need to treat for diatoms. Just keep up with your maintenance. If they become heavy on your plants a tooth brush works well. They will go away may last couple weeks may last couple months. Nothing to be overly concerned with.

Back
Top Bottom