Everything Tests 0, 3 year old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonygua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've searched for this but I'm not sure I found the right answer.

I have a 20 Gal GoldFish tank, 3 years old. Live plants, 1 goldfish, 2 small plecos.

I've always been careful to do regular water changes and rotate my media as not to interrupt the bio filter.

I was away for a longer period of time than normal and my Nitrates shot up to 80 to 100 ppm. Ammonia and nitrates were 0. I had a small algae issue, just standard green algae covering plants and decorations. I also had some white stringy substance in on the top of the filter media (I read some say that was a form of algae and some said it was mold).

So I immediately took action, I did a 1/2 water change. I add a little extra Prime to help neutralize the nitrates, to give the fish some comfort, and I changed the sponge & the micron filter. Then I replaced the carbon filter with Fulval Clearmax (This claimed to remove ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phosphates).

The Next Day I tested the water. The Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates were Zero. Strange enough, My PH dropped to about 6.0. I thought that can't be right, so I tested again with the same results.

I read some recommendations on some forums not to use the clearmax or other media that removes ammonia/nitrites because it could kill you bio cycle. so I switched it out for my usual carbon filter.

I started to take measures to raise the PH slowly over the next week. it is now up to 7.0. but my Ammonia, Nitrites, and nitrates are still zero. Once again I can't believe that with a Goldfish and two small Plecos that they would still be zero one week later. so I figured I crashed my bio cycle, and I would need to wait and test. Well, over two weeks later... PH good, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates - zero.

I'm going to head out and get a new test kit, but can anyone suggest what might be going on?

Here is a link to my album with two pictures of my tank, and some more information: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/88710-albums14713.html As you can see the tank is crystal clear and clean. These pictures were taken today.

:thanks:

Hi interesting story. Now firstly I am not a big believer in testing{:hide:} If your fish are doing OK,and acting normally and feeding. I wouldn't panic,but keep a close eye on them and keep up with your regular water changes. Obviously always wash out bio media in old tank water.
Good luck:)

Thanks Stingray,
I wasn't super a super nut about testing, I would use test strips once a week, just to make sure something didn't blowup, and then I would use my test kit monthly to get good readings. I pretty much had the water and filter changes under control.
My tap water was perfect for water changes. PH was 7.2, no other chemical traces besides chlorine. Then one day the tap water coming out dropped to 6.0. Of course I wasn't testing it, and I killed one of my goldfish. Couldn't believe it, it happened so fast. only about 4 days and I noticed something wrong and it was too late. couldn't help him. Adjusted the water, chemicals were back in balance, but he never recovered.

Now, I check the tank and the replacement water, every water change. That is why this one has me confused.

New test kit shows Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates at zero. Could it be that the Clearmax actually removed the Nitrates and the plants are consuming the new production? If so, that would be the first time a product like that did what it said, and I don't think the plants that I have in there are big Nitrate filters.

I highly doubt that it did. My suggestion would be to take a water sample to a lfs for them to double check the readings so you can make sure there isn't something wonky with your test kit.

What test kit are you using?

Hi your welcome. Hopefully things will settle down for you. Plants can consume allot nitrate, but I usually have a small reading in my tanks below 10ppm but like I said I cannot recall the last time I tested:oops: I usually use tests strips and do test before adding any new fish,or if I suspect something is wrong. As suggested you could get a second opinion from your LFS?:)
Footnote my last test kits had a use by date of 2014:angel:

Hello Tony...

A well established and well cared for tank doesn't require testing the tank water. Your 20 G simply needs most of the tank water removed and replaced a couple of times a week. This will guarantee steady water conditions.

You don't need to put anything into the tank water, other than a product like Seechem's "Safe" to remove the chemicals the public water people put into the tap water to make it safe to drink.

This hobby is so simple. It's 100 percent about keeping the water treated and clean, so just use the treatment and change out most of it every 3 to 4 days.

B

Back
Top Bottom