evil LFS gets my money once agian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my LFS's that I mainly buy my fish from decided to play yet another money making trick today. For one I decided my tnak would look alot nicer with two sets of moonlights, one on each end. I origianlly bought my first set for 12.99 there, I go back a couple months later and today they want 31.99 for the same exact set. needless to say I still have one set of lights lol. Then the other day I decided to replace my first clown loach that mysteriously dissapeared and never was found thanks to some haunted driftwood of mine. The first was bought for 8.99 and he was like 2 inches long. So I go back a few days ago and was determined to get one, I looked around and all they had was some big like 5- 6 inch ones in there display tank that wasn't for sell. So out of curiosity and determination I ask one of the sales ladies if they have anymore. The only clown loach that was 2 inches was hidden somewhere among the 30 some tanks they had. after a long time of looking we find him tucked away with some rubber eels, they wanted 12.99 for him, of course I bought him. Today I go back and behold 4 tanks literally full of small loaches, 4.99 a piece, 8.99 a pair. isn't that ridiculous?

It is evil that they bounce prices around like that. I don't think I've seen a single price change at any lfs around here in a long time.

I hate to say it, but I think this store does it becuse a huge over the top PetLand opened up literally right across the street, and theres a high end saltwater only place less than a mile down the road, I think there just trying to stay alive at this point, but I'm going to petland from now on I think, they had a huge selection of fish, and they all looked wonderfully healthy and well took care of

fishman, do you have a meijers around you?

they sell clowns for $6, i know its a mid-west chain, but kentucky borders ohio, thought i'd give you a heads up

I wouldn't buy any fish from Meijer. At least not any of the ones (LOTS) that I have been to. Their fish are known for being unhealthy and disease carrying.

Tis' the season for price gouging. Don't be surprised when prices on everything go up around this time of year. Any LFS you go to that has an online website be sure to check out prices prior to visiting the actual store.

Companies need to be aggressive on the net because there is so much competition. Locally, however, many will price at what they percieve the market will bare. Our local PetSmart is rediculous in this department, being routinuely 25-75% ABOVE their own online prices!

If you take a printout of Petsmarts website pricing to the store, they will honor that. I am pretty sure they will pricematch competitors as well.

That was my point. I shop there regularly for supplies (no fish) and am always bringing in their own website pages printed out to price match.

I had my LFS pull yet another stunt lately also (I think everyone has an LFS that at some point acts unscrupulously): I ordered two syno petricola. They told me £6.50 each. I go in (they failed to ring me, yet again, and yet again nothing on the tank to say 'reserved' so my ordered fish could have easily gone walkabouts in the meantime), and lo and behold they only got one, he's twice the price, and they bag him up so quickly without me having chance to check that when I get him home I find he's a syno multipunctatus.

So, in other words, not one thing they got right.

I'm starting to consider ordering fish online after a really good experience lately with trimar.co.uk (for UK people, I recommend it) if it's going to be anything other than tetra, guppy or molly lol.
And LFS staff have the cheek to go on about how people dont want anything other than guppies and mollies etc. Maybe if they got their act together.... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom