excessive algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
will pet stores take fish from you if you give them to them

KreativJustin said:
You should never remove more than 50% of your water in a month. This causes stress on the fish, and fish don't care too much about being stressed. Plus once being filled (even with water care products) you are changing all of the water parameters. Your fish will not care for this. With smaller fish, this can even lead to death very quickly.

In a nutshell!

Fish adapt to the tanks water, change it drastically, fish die. The end.

There is nothing wrong with large water changes. In some cases it is necessary.

There is nothing wrong with large water changes. In some cases it is necessary.
I agree. I had to do huge water changes a couple of times (like when moving) and never had anybody die. Generally, I try to avoid it, but when it is necessary, its not a huge deal IME. Not to mention many people do 20% weekly pwc without an issue. That adds up to more then 50% a month, but my tank is quite healthy.

That is a lot of fish. Wow. Do they all get along? It does seem like maybe you could benefit from re-homeing a few of them. Maybe pick 1 or 2 species to re-home. Honestly, that would probably help with the algae. I also still suggest adding live plants to take up some of the nutrients and give the fishies places to hide. Plants typically equal better water quality.

Right... that almost makes it worse though. Fish can adapt to dirty water, but cannot adapt to shock. :)
Fish cannot adapt to dirty water....

I personally do a 50% water change once a week every week and would do more if my water parameters warranted it...

My Pepper Corrys seem to love it, they get ,in the mood, if you know what I mean.
The only aggressivness I see most of the time is the same species male female.
Been changing like that for months.

will pet stores take fish from you if you give them to them
Sorry I missed this. The answer is yes. PetCo will take fish in as adoptions and many lfs will as well. Sometimes an lfs will give you store credit, but I wouldn't expect any with common livebearers because they are NOT in short supply.:)

Right... that almost makes it worse though. Fish can adapt to dirty water, but cannot adapt to shock. :)
where did you learn you shouldnt do large water changes? petsmart?

i did a 60-70% water change before i went on vacation a couple weeks ago,and normally change 30-50% a week. the only way the water changes could be hurting would be if she used boiling water

Back
Top Bottom