Expansion Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fuj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi AA. I have a full (5 small ruby barbs and 2 spotted corys) 10g planted tank.

I plan to move most if not all of the residence of my original tank to a larger tank (They will eventually out grow the 10g) and put my little bros goldfish in the 10g, but that will be in a month or so.

When changing the fish to the new tank after I plant and fishless cycle then new tank should I transfer the whole school at a time(5 small ruby barbs) or just a few at at time? When I first bought them I only got 2 and they were not happy till there were 5. When I move those guys over can I get the goldfish in the 10g with the corys? will it affect the cycle moving so many fish in and out of either tank?

Also, There is a really nice stream and waterfall that goes back in to the valley behind my home and it has crayfish. Do you think I could just move them from the stream to my tank? how many should I get? and what should I keep them with, Goldfish or corys/barbs? is there anything i should be wary of in doing this?

Lastly, I currently reside in Honolulu Hawaii. Does anyone know of a good LFSs or breeders here? Or, does anyone think I will have a problem having fish shipped here?

if you move over the filter you should be able to skip the whole fishless cycle. you might have a mini cycle but it shouldnt be too bad and go away fast.

goldfish get rather large and the 10 gallon wont cut it. also goldfish are cold water fish while cories are tropical they have different requirements.

i wouldnt take anything out of the wild with out qting it first. also make sure its legal to do so.

Reactions: Fuj
OK from what i can find it is legal to catch that crayfish (its in a stream on my property). I used to fish them all the time as a kid. what tank would you put it in and do i need to keep more than 1 for stable mental health?

I have an Electric Blue Lobster (crayfish) and it is in it's own tank. If you put it in a community tank, it will eventually eat everything in there.

Aww I guess no Crayfish. I kinda wanted to get this one that I walked upon one day while he was cruzing outside of the stream and he stood up and tried to swipe at me with his big claw. it was pretty funny. he didnt even run away when I stepped over him, just kept swiping. That little guy had some balls. Since then I kinda wanted one.

if you move over the filter you should be able to skip the whole fishless cycle. you might have a mini cycle but it shouldnt be too bad and go away fast.

goldfish get rather large and the 10 gallon wont cut it. also goldfish are cold water fish while cories are tropical they have different requirements.

i wouldnt take anything out of the wild with out qting it first. also make sure its legal to do so.

I quite agree with the fishless cycle, adding the old filter to the new tank will allow you to miss it out and you should be able to transfer them all over at once with no problems, i done this a few months ago moving the entire contents of my old tank, roughly 16 fish, without any casualties =)

Back
Top Bottom