Feeder worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I bought these live worms for my fish tonight. I got like a billion of what appear to be brown little blood worm looking things. However, I accidentally dropped a surplus of these guys in, after my fish got their fill and were swimming around all fat like, the rest if the little guys burrowed into the sand. Is this going to be a problem, I'm thinking there was about 100-200 that got into the sand.

Readingexcalibur said:
These are the little worms all over the place, lol

Hrmmm I think those are just blood worms...I'm not so sure if they pose a problem? Got any bottom feeders in your tank? Some corys can probably get them...

Predfan27 said:
Hrmmm I think those are just blood worms...I'm not so sure if they pose a problem? Got any bottom feeders in your tank? Some corys can probably get them...

Just my gold nugget pleco tearing them up and throwing them all over. Maybe it is time to bring back the loach community into the aquarium!

Readingexcalibur said:
Just my gold nugget pleco tearing them up and throwing them all over. Maybe it is time to bring back the loach community into the aquarium!

What size aquarium you got? Favorite loaches of mine, although super expensive, dwarf chain loaches.

Predfan27 said:
Gotcha. Well, any loach can be supported in there. Barring what else you keep. Or maybe next time less worms will drop out! Haha

Ha yeah, I don't plan on adding a clown loach or anything that gets huge. I'm just worried the worms may reproduce in the sand. I've heard of snail problems, but worms? Actually, that has potential to keep my feeding bill cheap, I take this all back! ;)

Readingexcalibur said:
Ha yeah, I don't plan on adding a clown loach or anything that gets huge. I'm just worried the worms may reproduce in the sand. I've heard of snail problems, but worms? Actually, that has potential to keep my feeding bill cheap, I take this all back! ;)

Haha yeah that would be awesome! What I'm more worried about is the worms burying themselves. Then dying. Decomposing under the sand and messing up the water parameters...

Predfan27 said:
Haha yeah that would be awesome! What I'm more worried about is the worms burying themselves. Then dying. Decomposing under the sand and messing up the water parameters...

Oh good call, I guess I could just stir the sand and get a really good Syphon job in the morning. Bummer, I was all excited about my fish eating on a free ticket too.

Next morning and they are still alive, interesting. My leopard ctenopoma appear to be extremely happy, even tho there is enough to feed them for days.

You might try portioning out food with a measuring spoon for the next feeding. We keep a few spoon sets specifically for tank purposes. There's never the danger of overfeeding that way, unless, of course, you allow my husband to get to the fish food. :rolleyes:

LyndaB said:
You might try portioning out food with a measuring spoon for the next feeding. We keep a few spoon sets specifically for tank purposes. There's never the danger of overfeeding that way, unless, of course, you allow my husband to get to the fish food. :rolleyes:

Ha, yeah, I've actually been pretty good with the feeding, just had that accident this time. I like the spoon idea. FYI. Those worms stink!

Back
Top Bottom