Feeding a Cat Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
There was a sale at my local fish store, so i picked up a marble catfish i believe it was. I have been leaving him sinkin shrimp pellets and the wafers i have for my alage eater.. on occasion he will wake up during the day to eat a guppy but that doesnt happen to often. Can someone tell me what this guy likes to eat and also is there a way to get him to feed during the day, i would sleep a lil easier knowing that he is eating what i am leaving him. I mean the other day he didnt eat the wafer so i guess its 50/50 with that food.

What kind of catfish is it? Marble is a common name that could apply to at least 5 cats. Try looking at www.planetcatfish.com in their cat e-log to see what kind it is, or post a picture. Most catfish are nocturnal, so there isn't a good way to make them active during they day. Try feeding him when the lights are really dim. Mine cat always perks up almost immediately after the lights go down.

Its a marble pim, my lfs had a half off sale on all there fish so i got him for a good price. What is your cats diet consist of?

My cats eat left over flake food that makes it to the bottom, algae tabs, shrimp tabs and complete tabs that Tetra makes. Occasionally they get frozen food.

He may start to become more diurnal after awhile but some species are just nocturnal fish and don't do much during the day.

Was the catfish supposed to eat the guppy? My fiancé had upside down catfish that picked off his population of smaller fish--cories and krebences.

In general, a cat is omnivorous and will eat anything that will fit into it's mouth. Mine takes flakes, floating pellets, sinking carnivore pellets, FD bloodworms, and anything else I put in there. It is always good to have a nice variety. They are very fond of small fish, so make sure any tankmates are bigger than the mouth or 2/3 the lenght of the fish. Another option is rounded fish, like a silver dollar or most ciclids. That is a very hard shape to swallow so they are usually left alone.

Back
Top Bottom