Feeding Betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Danio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it ok to feed 1 pellet to a betta in the morning and 1 in the after noon and every other day instead of a pellet in the afternoon a few frozen then thawed blood worms?
I feed him hikari bio gold Betta bites and San francisco bay brand blood worms. I also sometimes catch live mosquito larvae and feed him a few of those but that happens a few times a month in the summer :)

Giant Danio said:
Is it ok to feed 1 pellet to a betta in the morning and 1 in the after noon and every other day instead of a pellet in the afternoon a few frozen then thawed blood worms?
I feed him hikari bio gold Betta bites and San francisco bay brand blood worms. I also sometimes catch live mosquito larvae and feed him a few of those but that happens a few times a month in the summer :)

I'd feed him 2 pellets every morning, and 3 at night 3 days a week. Then 2 pellets in the morning and 3 bloodworms at night (unless freeze dried... Then not at all unless soaked in conditioned water before feeding) when there is mosquito larvae substitute for bloodworms, and feed boiled shelled, chopped peas one evening a week, and don't feed in the mornings... So this is how I'd do it:
Sunday: fast in morning, peas in evening
Monday: 2 pellets morning, 3 pellets night
Tuesday: 2 pellets morning, 3 BW/larvae night
Wednesday: 2 pellets morning, 3 pellets night
Thursday: 2 pellets morning, BW/larvae night
Friday: 2 pellets morning, 3 pellets night
Saturday: 2 pellets morning, 3 BW/larvae night
That's just how I'd do it...

IMO the above schedule is way too much food. Bettas are highly prone to constipation, swim bladder disease, and dropsy, all of which the best preventive for is clean water and proper feeding. It's possible you may end up dealing with one of these issues even doing everything perfectly, but IME the following diet is highly successful. I feed once a day: 3-4 days a week 3 Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets, 2-3 days a few of a thawed frozen food such as bloodworms, brine shrimp, or mysis shrimp, and 1 day 3 pellet sized peices of shelled blanched pea. This balance is important, too much protein will cause swim bladder disease. The pea will help clear out the digestive tract and give you better odds at avoiding the above mentioned problems. :)

Back
Top Bottom