feeding during vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not going to be home for the next three days and was wondering if I should get someone to feed my fish. If I do decide to ask him I will premesure the food for him but he has no aquarium experience. should I ask him to feed them or should I just no feed them at all.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:
In Advance

3 days is no problem. I think they could go a week without being fed... LOL. Feed them before you leave. They should be fine...

The fish in my tank at the office are doing great and they don't get fed two days out of every week, plus occasional three day weekends.

Im not recommending anyone do it but my fish have gone for a month without eating and were all alive when i got back. My gf said she would put on the vaca feeder and didnt. If you have a tank thats been running for a while a month or more can go by without water changes too. This is only recommended for fish that are hardy not fish like angels or something like that.

no i have the electronic one that spins to dispense food and it works very well.

Petco brand. $20. I test a lot to get the right amount. I feed about a 3rd of the food with the auto feeder this way there is less waste while im away. I only have one complaint and that is if you put it over the bubble in the water they burst and when the flap gets wet it doesnt open to feed the fish but when i dont have it near the bubbles it works fine. Just a slight design flaw. Can be fixed by gluing something to the flap like a piece of cloth. Just havent gotten around to it.

I have four of these: Walmart.com: Penn-Plax: Battery Powered Automatic Fish Feeder,: Fish

They are great, never had an issue, every Walmart I've been to sells them, and they are about ten bucks. Just need two AA batteries. But, always test it about a week before you leave, just to make sure it'[s running smoothly and its the right amount for the fish.

Anyway, agreeing with everyone else. Three days is nothing for a fish to not eat. But, I like to have one of these on hand anyway. Never hurts to always be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom