Feeding once a day OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChards

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

Because of elevated Ammonia and Nirite levels I have started doing a PWC of about 40 – 50% every day and reducing how often I feed my fish (4 male Dwarf Gourami and 2 Upside Down Catfish – about 10" of fish in a 19g tank). I've been doing this for three days and it seems to be working so far but I feel bad about only feeding once a day and wondered how often everyone else feeds their fish?

I have some catfish food pellets for the catfish which I drop in before I go to bed as the catfish rarely come out from their little castle during the day and I wouldn't want the DG to eat the pellets (they've certainly tried!) or for them to get lost or buried and have the catfish go hungry. So, I usually end up feeding the DG their much-loved flaked food at the same time just so that the catfish pellets have a chance to sink to the bottom of the tank without the DG chasing after them.

I used to feed the DG flaked food two or three times a day and they always seemed keen to be fed and came to the surface whenever I opened the hatch in the lid. There was always a lot of poop that had to be hovered up during PWCs though and I guess this is what was causing the high Ammonia/ Nitrite levels. That or rotting food anyway; most likely both.

However, is feeding my DG once a day going to be enough for them? Or maybe it's too frequent and I should only feed every other day? I've rambled on for long enough about this now, I guess I just want some reassurance that my fish will be perfectly healthy and happy with being fed once a day...

Many thanks (as always!),
Dan

Feeding adult fish once a day is just fine. You can feed multiple times if you wish, just keep the amounts to a minimum, really just a smidgen 3 times a day is more than enough. Many people don't feed one day a week to prevent bloating.

Fish are cold blooded creatures they do not need the energy reserves mammals do. Remember they don't run internal heaters like we mammals do.

I feed once per day, then skip a day once or twice a week.

You were prob feeding too much

I also feed once a day, and don't worry if they miss a day because I don't get home in time. Even though the fish ACT like they haven't eaten in two weeks, it's an act, they're smart, they know if they beg and look hungry that you'll feed them. In their natural habitat they likely don't eat every day.

Once a day here as well, with the exception of my angel/yoyo loach tank. Those guys get a small feeding in the morning as well.

i have a regular nutrition system in place
1. tubifex
2. shrimp
3. tubifex
4. shrimp
5. pellets
6. peas or spiruline
7. no food.

i feed once a day, and i feed them for 2 minutes. but honestly after a while you will see how much they NEED to eat.

sometimes i do not feed them 2-3 days in a row almost at all, if they start being agressive on the plants THEN i know they are really hungry. otherwise is just real extra poop.

also, you want your feeding to be constant.(n cycle, growth ...)

For years I have feed my fish only once every other day. They have always done fine with this. I almost NEVER have any water problems with this routine.

I feed my discus 3 or more times a day. I feed my angels 4-5 or more times per day. I try to feed my shrimp 4-5 times per week. On Fridays I work long hours and stay up at work so I feed large amounts to my angels and discus before I leave and then I feed them Sunday morning and continue my routine again.

I too feed the discus 3 -4 times per day but the tetras do get what's left.Sundays they can beg all they like,they ain't getting nothing:D:D

Back
Top Bottom