feeding otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know it varies, different otos prefer different things but what do they mostly eat? I've tried algae wafer, boiled carrots and green beans. What do they prefer? I have somewhat of plenty of algae but i just wanna make sure.

sounds like a good diet to me, if they eat the veggies that is great too as long as they are boiled to make it easier for them. Glad to see you know algae is not enough for these guys. Continue to keep a varied diet of the boiled veggies(try blanched greens or cucumber), algae wafers and the algae in the tank. If they eat it, then they like it! good job

patola_l said:
sounds like a good diet to me, if they eat the veggies that is great too as long as they are boiled to make it easier for them. Glad to see you know algae is not enough for these guys. Continue to keep a varied diet of the boiled veggies(try blanched greens or cucumber), algae wafers and the algae in the tank. If they eat it, then they like it! good job

Thanks, I've been reading a lot on them but problem is they don't eat what i give em. They just ignore the food. I'll try a slice of zucchini or cucumber next. I think they're ignoring cause they have plenty of algae to eat.

well at least they are eating, my ottos eat lots over night, so i would feed veggies over night. As long as they are eating well, and are having the opportunity for a varied diet, I'm sure they will be fine.. What are their tank mates and how big is the tank? also, how many of them do you have?

patola_l said:
well at least they are eating, my ottos eat lots over night, so i would feed veggies over night. As long as they are eating well, and are having the opportunity for a varied diet, I'm sure they will be fine.. What are their tank mates and how big is the tank? also, how many of them do you have?

Yeah, I read they eat more when the lights are off so I'm pretty sure they'll devour the green beans I have in there. Tanks mates are mostly tetras. Neons, glow, red minor. It's a 36g bowfront and i only have 2. I had 5 but they died the first week I got em, and only 2 survived. Read that they're more likely to die due to stress from transportation and pet stores not feeding em the right food.

well it tough to keep lots of them because they eat the algae in the tai really fast! so 2 is a better number IMO as there is more food to go around then.

patola_l said:
well it tough to keep lots of them because they eat the algae in the tai really fast! so 2 is a better number IMO as there is more food to go around then.

Yeah, they don't mind just being the only 2, they follow each other around. It's fun to watch, I wouldn't mind getting more for them to school around. One thing that I've been really observing is that one has its belly kinda...caved in? If that makes sense. While the other ones belly is fat meaning It's happy and eating. I'll have to check again.

hmm well thats a sign its not eating, make sure you are adding enough food for both of them, they will for surely not survive on just tank algae alone.

patola_l said:
hmm well thats a sign its not eating, make sure you are adding enough food for both of them, they will for surely not survive on just tank algae alone.

That's what I'm trying to do but they ignore everything I put in for them.

I feel your pain Fishdud. I know my corys and ottos aren't getting enough to eat, but when I try to feed them something special, the other fish and the shrimp just swarm it. I've tried putting stuff in for them after lights out, but I have no idea whose's actually eating it.

buck said:
I feel your pain Fishdud. I know my corys and ottos aren't getting enough to eat, but when I try to feed them something special, the other fish and the shrimp just swarm it. I've tried putting stuff in for them after lights out, but I have no idea whose's actually eating it.

Exactly, very right. All my other fish attack at the veggies and the wafers I toss in but the otos just seem to ignore and swim by it. I just left a piece of green beans in the tank and turned off the lights hoping they'll eat it.

Yea, I even put in blanched cucumber slices,and put a plant weight in it and then pushed it into the substrate so that it would stay put. If I would check with a flashlight while lights out I'd see the Nerite snails on it. I want them to eat algae, not my otto food! We need to figure out a way to feed our ottos and corys without the other guys getting to it first.

buck said:
Yea, I even put in blanched cucumber slices,and put a plant weight in it and then pushed it into the substrate so that it would stay put. If I would check with a flashlight while lights out I'd see the Nerite snails on it. I want them to eat algae, not my otto food! We need to figure out a way to feed our ottos and corys without the other guys getting to it first.

That's what I'm saying. You could try putting your otos or corys in one of Thas breeder tanks that go in the tank and put the food in there. It's what I've been thinking.

Oh,Fishdud, I don't know if I want to mess around with that. One thing I don't do is remove any algae from the back and side glass, not that there is really anything visible, but it is there. I think probably the best bet is to put the food in after lights out and take our chances. We could observe them for awhile and if their bellies are getting plump than I guess it would be working. It's real easy to see on the otto's. I feed my fish about an hour before the lights go out,and it's just kind of a pain in the neck to come back later and feed our cleanup crew. But we gotta do what we gotta do. Hang in there, we'll figure it out.

buck said:
Oh,Fishdud, I don't know if I want to mess around with that. One thing I don't do is remove any algae from the back and side glass, not that there is really anything visible, but it is there. I think probably the best bet is to put the food in after lights out and take our chances. We could observe them for awhile and if their bellies are getting plump than I guess it would be working. It's real easy to see on the otto's. I feed my fish about an hour before the lights go out,and it's just kind of a pain in the neck to come back later and feed our cleanup crew. But we gotta do what we gotta do. Hang in there, we'll figure it out.

Yeah, I tried that with the green.beans and they didn't even bother to touch it. They usually hang around the back and side glass and pick whatever's there. Hopefully they are gettin enough to eat. It's a pain.

Back
Top Bottom