Feeding otos zuccini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read on here to keep a slice of zuccini in the aquarium for the otos... its a dwarf puffer tank. The zuccini seems to be very messy and slings clear "meat" everywhere and the otos don't touch it. Should I take it out and try something else for them to eat or should I have cooked it first?

Nik

I used to feed my Otos zucchini/cucumber weekly; they loved it.
Try blanching it (cover it with wet paper towel and throw it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds). Their little mouths aren't strong enough to munch on it until its soft.

bs6749 said:
How thick of a piece do you put in the microwave? Do you peel the skin first?
i usually put in a piece that is about 1/4 inch thick, and leave the skin on... between the otos, rubberlips and snails it is gone in ~ 24 hours

I put in the microwave for 20 seconds and stuck a piece about a half inch wide in the tank... 3 otos and haven't seen any of them eat yet... on a side note... my dwarf puffers ate the first time I stuck some bloodworms in.

My new-ish otos refused softened zuch, but relish greens dipped in boiling water to soften, and red bell peppers, also boiled a little. They seem to really get excited about it after they've been in the tank a while and just start to break down.

My Otos love zucchini.

Anyone have some other greens they like to feed them? How about mustard or turnip greens?

Plecoperson, what type of fish is that in your avatar? I really like it.

Burks said:
My Otos love zucchini.

Anyone have some other greens they like to feed them? How about mustard or turnip greens?

Plecoperson, what type of fish is that in your avatar? I really like it.

I've also fed turnip greens and spinach, both cooked a bit, to great acclaim with the otos.

That's a "Burmese Mini Catfish" Ereithes conta/(Hara maesotensis). It's about 1.5" long and won't get much bigger. I added one to a fish order I had shipped and wish I had gotten a couple more. They are extremely cute and swim like a big fish, very gracefully and slowly. I'm in love with it.

I've never heard of that kind of fish. May have to look into getting some. They would go well in my 40g future pleco tank (which should be set up next week!). May check with my LFS to see if they can order them. That fish is just too cool.

My Oto's really don't go after spinach very much. I tried the mustard greens and the only thing that touched it was the snails. I actually had my Clown Pleco literally attack the spinach leaf today with the lights on! He never comes out from hiding. I'll give the turnip greens a try next time. Only like $1 and should be able to freeze them.

For all of my fish, I feed, zuc, cukes, melons, oranges, canteloupe, lettuce, & peas. The otos I have eat everything but the orange slices.

Back
Top Bottom