Feeding peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I wanted to feed my fishes some peas but can I use fresh or does it have yo be frozen? I boiled them... But am Reading on a few sites not to give fresh due to pesticides. Will boiling help that or should I skip these and get some frozen?

I personally use frozen for convenience,
I just drop them straight in frozen others soften them up for a minute in some boiling water.

I boil frozen ones so i can pinch them and get the outer skin off and just feed them the meat part.

I boil frozen ones so i can pinch them and get the outer skin off and just feed them the meat part.

I do this method as well. Whenever we have frozen peas with dinner the fish get some. If I leave the outer skin on, they don't get eaten.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I find lightly smushing the pea's after they are deshelled before adding them to the tank will often result in better consumption especially if there are small fish in the tank. For larger fish and goldfish I just drop them in. In my 220g I have fish from large angel size to small tetra's, threadfin rainbows, and small killi's and found they really appreciate the smaller pieces and particles that come off the smushed peas while they sink since many of these fish won't eat off the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom