feeding peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I need to feed my fish peas to make sure they don't get constipated.

How do you guys do this? When people talk about peeling peas, do you mean taking the skin off every individual little pea, or are you just talking about not gettign peas in pods?

I've never bought peas at the grocery store. Does it make much of a difference what I get? Maybe frozen ones would be a little softer once they thawed out and be better for tiny fish?

I have 7 rasboras. Would they even be able to eat peas?

I was thinking maybe I should only feed 6 days a week, and feed just brine shrimp on Sunday and just peas on Wednesday. That should keep them pretty "regular." Would that be a bad idea?

I was thinking something like:

Sun: just brine shrimp
Mon: reg. flake + color bits
Tue: reg. flake + bloodworms + sinking wafers
Wed: just peas
Thur: reg flake + color bits
Fri: reg. flake + bloodworms + sinking wafers
Sat: nothing

I have 1 gourami, 5 panda corys, 6 swords, 7 rasboras and a few shrimp.

I worry that the gourami is eating all the food so nobody gets any, but then when I feed enough that everybody gets some I worry that I'm overfeeding a little.

The pandas just root around all the time, but the only thing I've ever actually seen them eat is regular flake food that has sunk to the bottom. I still put a sinking wafer in there now and then, but it's usually just the swords picking at it then the shrimp eat it.

My betta died -- I think of constipation. Is brine shrimp + peas + skipping a day a week a good idea?

i buy frozen peas. i take a few and put them in a little plastic container with a little water and microwave them to become a little mushy. then i let them cool and they just pop out of the skin.

aquarious' method is good, fast and convenient. If you don't have a microwave, you can blanch (place in boiling water for a minute) and follow the same directions.

Tostada said:
Sun: just brine shrimp
Mon: reg. flake + color bits
Tue: reg. flake + bloodworms + sinking wafers
Wed: just peas
Thur: reg flake + color bits
Fri: reg. flake + bloodworms + sinking wafers
Sat: nothing
swords picking at it then the shrimp eat it.

umm why nothing on saturday? you should feed your fish everyday

I prefer frozen peas as they will last longer and probably retain more nutrients in the freezer. Plus with the can your obviously gonna have leftovers that you gotta eat yourself or throw out.

As for not feeding fish on Saturday that's not a problem. Many offices don't feed their tanks over the weekend and I have never seen any ill effects from that routine.

it is ok to not feed you fish one-two days a week, lit lets there systems clean out...

Back
Top Bottom