Feeding peas and a case of dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieNicole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
[/Font

Okay so some of my mollies are a little bloated and when they poop it just like a clear string.

I fed them 3 thawed squished peas with the shell, because I wasn't sure if I leave the shell or not. I was wondering do I need to remove the pea shell? And how often do I need to feed them peas.

Also I had a black molly die last night from a case of Dropsy ? I treated my 20 gallon tank with half a teaspoon of Epsom salt and some medicine to put in the water to treat bacteria. I got my remaining fish marine flakes with garlic in it to raise their immune systems.

Will this be enough? Will my other fish be okay?

One more thing, another black molly of mine is turning white ? if anyone has any information on what that may be please help.

I know this is a lot, and my tank is a real mess right now it seems. I really need advice.

Sort of. I had a 10 gallon that ran for a week. Then I bought a 20 gallon and put the water from the 10 gallon in the 20, then topped it off. Then added the fish.

I added 11 mollies.
As soon as I put them in there one started dying. That night two more died. The I had one die of dropsy a week later. Then I had this acknowledge mollie turning white that stopped eating. He laid I the bottom looking like he was gasping. And unfortunately died last night.

I have treated the tank for 4 days now with Melanie. And Epsom salt because they were bloated. I fed them smashed peas (de shelled) and blood worms soaked in garlic in case the is an internal parasite

Hi, unfortunately can take around 6 weeks to properly cycle a tank and adding fish can mean the tank goes through a mini-cycle again. Been there.

A test kit is a good purchase for new tanks.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=580#.Vrqlw1_CanM

Also it may be a little high on stocking rates:

http://www.aqadvisor.com

So things like daily, partial water changes, gravel vacs and cutting back feeding to every second day will let the tank balance out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

So at 6 fish now? How are those doing? I would stop the melafix/pimafix in case it is doing more harm than good. Live-bearers I've found can be sensitive to it.

Last edited:
Hi, unfortunately can take around 6 weeks to properly cycle a tank and adding fish can mean the tank goes through a mini-cycle again. Been there.

A test kit is a good purchase for new tanks.

Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

Also it may be a little high on stocking rates:

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

So things like daily, partial water changes, gravel vacs and cutting back feeding to every second day will let the tank balance out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

So at 6 fish now? How are those doing? I would stop the melafix/pimafix in case it is doing more harm than good. Live-bearers I've found can be sensitive to it.

The other fish seem fine. Even have some baby's in there. We'll at least one so far. Can I do water changes while doing the treatments? I was told to do that bacteria medicine after the one died of dropsy. I only have 3 days left to give it since it's a seven day treatment. You think I should stop or just do the last three days?

Personally I would stop dosing and try the water changes as the rest seem fine. To me this reads mainly as water chemistry / acclimatisation but the water test kit would resolve questions.

Personally I would stop dosing and try the water changes as the rest seem fine. To me this reads mainly as water chemistry / acclimatisation but the water test kit would resolve questions.

Okay, so I went out and got the exact test kit you showed me.

The pH was 8.0
The ammonia was 0.50ppm
and the nitrites are 0ppm

So I did probably a 40% water change added some pH down. Will water changes help with the ammonia? And how long should I wait it before I test again?

And also thanks for all the help! It's greatly appreciated! I want the best for my fish friends!

I would continue doing water changes as this basically dilutes the ammonia (keeps it down). It will be a while before you get nitrite and nitrate readings. A ph of 8 is fine. I would not alter it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom