Feeding Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have three shrimplets in my tank... they're finally getting used to coming out although they almost always hang out on the driftwood (they hid behind it for a week first though).

They went through all the fuzz on the driftwood pretty quickly- and now I'm concerned they won't be getting enough to eat.

My betta steals the algae wafers (sigh) and the shrimp are pretty skittish around her, although they're getting braver. I do my best to add a bit of extra flake food in the hopes that some will fall towards the shrimp (do they eat flake food?) but I can't be sure they're getting any.

Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't lose them?

ETA: well well- looks like they're adventurous today. They're hopping onto the plants for cleaning duties but only when Betty-betta is occupied.

Hm... ok. The problem is I doubt the shrimp would get much, if any, of food I put in for them- the other fish are too fast.

They're gradually starting to branch out and poke around for food elsewhere... so maybe they'll be OK if I feed extra here and there?

The shrimp won't need actual fish food but they will eat flake food. Shrimp feed off of what is called "bio-film" which is basically a thin layer of microbial life on surfaces of things. This is the main component of their diet. Shrimp are also very good scavengers of food. Ever wonder why they have so many claws? They are constantly finding tiny little bits of food but those all add up at the end of the day. You could feed them flake sparingly once a week and that would be sufficient.

Sounds like I'll be OK then. The driftwood seems to be their 'home base' and they branch off and go munching for a bit, then come back.

Thanks guys!

did you try adding the algae wafer at night? Also try breaking it up, I only feed small pieces a couple times a week. So you could put like 3 small pieces in there, one out in the open for the betta then then like 2 more by the driftwood.

They will scavenge good, so I would not worry too much

Take the algae wafer or whatever you feed them and soak in water, break it up too then you can use a turkey baster to empty it near the place they hang out. They'll get all the small particles, which the fish won't even bother with.

Back
Top Bottom