Having problem feeding new fish in quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramtsi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 9 neon tetras that I got 5 days ago that I put in a quarantine tank. When I got them at the fish store I bought frozen brine shrimp cubes and tropical fish flakes - but they didn't have the flakes I ordered, and instead gave me an unknown brand that they use to feed their fish.

I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong, or it's just the stress that the fish are in, but they don't really eat any of the food I got for them. They peck at the flakes for a bit but most of it falls to the bottom of the tank and they don't touch it again.
They don't show any interest at the brine shrimp cubes.

The fish store is a reputable and trustworthy place. Their fish look healthy, and they weren't new to their tanks.

Can you post a photo of your QT?

Their environment could be causing stress and stressed fish might not eat. I know from your other thread your QT is bare bottom, and the fish will be able to see themselves reflected on the bottom. A thin layer of sand would help there. Does your QT have a background to the back? Does it have a simple scape so the fish can hide and be more comfortable? Turning down any lights should make them feel more secure.

Thanks again. The tank is a plastic tub with a plastic plant decoration and live frogbit plants. The fish are not afraid when I'm near the tank, they hide only if I open it to clean/feed them.
I have a small led light for the frogbit. Most of the tank is shaded with the help of the frogbit plants.

Changed the food and they started eating. Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom