Few stocking questions - 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, so I'm thinking about setting up a heavily planted 20 gallon tank. Just in the planning phases here, probably won't do it until after Christmas. Here's what I'm thinking:

6-8x juli cories
5x khuli loaches
6-10x cardinal tetra
2x German blue ram OR 1x male betta

As you may have guessed, my first question is with regards to the betta. Do we think it'll work in there? They have pretty largely documented success in communities with all of the above inhabitants individually. Cardinals would be the most questionable due to the fact they sometimes fin nip (I would take them out if that was the case). As I said, the betta would likely (it's always down to the individual - I know) work with any of the above individually in the tank, but is there an issue once you put them all together?

My second question is whether or not the bottom would be too crowded with both the cories and the loaches? I know the loaches are mostly nocturnal if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high?

Personally, I would give the betta a shot. Your best bet is if you have any fish stores that sell bettas from community tanks instead of little cups. That way you can observe how they are with other fish.

My second question is whether or not the bottom would be too crowded with both the cories and the loaches? I know the loaches are mostly nocturnal if that makes a difference.

I have kuhlis in two tanks and they are active all the time!

I have kuhlis in two tanks and they are active all the time!

That's true actually, I have read they come out more in the day when you've had them for a while. Sounds like I'll have plenty of room, though.

Anyone want to give their opinion on a betta in there?

That's true actually, I have read they come out more in the day when you've had them for a while. Sounds like I'll have plenty of room, though.

Anyone want to give their opinion on a betta in there?

In case you missed it (I edited this into my response after you replied): A betta might work. Try to find a store that keeps bettas with their other fish for sale instead of individual cups. Those bettas are your best bet for having a community since they're already used to having tankmates.

I've never heard of cardinals being nippy but I've never kept them either. I have a betta in my community tank with green neons and no problems. Whether the betta goes after the other fish is a matter of individual personality.

That's good to hear. I've never owned cardinals either, I just read that they *can* be nippy, but I'd be surprised to see them go after a betta.

Any tips about how to spot a less aggressive one in the store? Unfortunately I think all 3 stores near me keep them singly!

So I'm leaning towards not doing to betta just because of all the stories I've read about them being fine for 2 years then killing everything in the tank one night.

Likely do a 29 gallon, as well.

Same stocking list but looking for something to replace the betta with. Thinking German Blue Rams or Blue Acaras. Looking for alternate suggestions!

You could do a single angelfish if you're doing a 29. My wife and I had nearly that exact stock in a 29 (replace 10 cardinal tetras with 4 platys) and it was awesome. Might just have to do a few less of the corydoras and tetras.

AquStockImage.php

Germans can be sensitive and require higher temps. Not sure about the acara, I'd be concered about agression towards the tetras. Maybe a Bolivian ram, keyhole, or even some sort of gourami?

Back
Top Bottom