Film / Haze Building up on inside of glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had by 56 gal tank set up for a few months. Ammonia and Nitrite are 0, Nitrate stays around 10ppm or so.

Within the last week or two a film / haze has started building up on the inside of my tank, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. Could it be algae? I'm still a bit of a noob and this is the first time I've seen this.

Stock is: 5x Zebra Danio, 6x Black Molly, 10x Tiger Barb, 6x Pictus Catfish. Temp is set to 79.5°F. All of the fish seem perfectly healthy, and I have seen no obvious buildup of anything else in the tank besides on the glass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My wife and I also noticed today that our water is turning a brown tint. I did a ~40% PWC and the water seems much clearer. The only difference in the last week was the addition of the Pictus cats with the accompanying sinking wafers that she has been feeding them.

Will algae turn water brown in a week? Before we got the cats we had absolutely no problems with the water. Or perhaps it's the bottom-feeder wafers.

It's probably too much waste food. A few PWC's should clear it up. My 10gal tank's water is yellow right now, even though params are fine. I guess it just happens.

--Adeeb

Is it a brown film? I get brown blotches on my tank walls, and I just use a scrubber to remove it about an hour before pwc time. :)

I agree that it is probably too much waste food. The pictus will eat anything you put in there. I wouldnt feed them the algae wafers. Let them eat what the rest of the fish eat. And watch the smaller fish, the pictus will eat them too! My 4" pictus ate 16 neons in one night.

My 4" pictus ate 16 neons in one night.
:eek2:

We started to assume that it could be from the tablets we bought for the cats. The reason for the sinking bottom-feeder food (it's not algae wafers) is that the Pictus don't come to the surface and eat. They stay at the bottom of the tank constantly (and even hide under the plants when the light is on). So we were worried they weren't getting enough food because the Black Mollies and Tiger Barbs in the tank are pretty much pigs, they gobble up any food before it gets half-way to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom