filter cleaning question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering, why is it that you can't use tap water to clean filter media as long as its conditioned? (i use prime)

the tapwater has chlorine in it. if you rinse it out with that you will kill your bacteria and add contaminants to your tank :)

I use conditioned tap water

because I always manage to forget to save a bucket of tank water. I use the same temp as tank water and add conditioner and then swish the filters.

I suppose it wastes water conditioner, but not much.

I'll be interested to hear if there is a reason not to

As long as you leave it for say... 15 mins I guess that is fine!

TheNamelessPoet said:
the tapwater has chlorine in it. if you rinse it out with that you will kill your bacteria and add contaminants to your tank :)

Yes that's why I said add prime. Lol.

2007PSanHa said:
As long as you leave it for say... 15 mins I guess that is fine!

That's what I thought because I didn't see much difference between that and doing a large water change. Even in a wc the conditioned tap water is getting to the filter media. Right?

It has always been recommended that you will swish your filter media to the old tank water to clean so your beneficial bacteria will not die. You will have a mini cycle if you will directly clean the media with tap water out of the faucet.

daileene said:
It has always been recommended that you will swish your filter media to the old tank water to clean so your beneficial bacteria will not die. You will have a mini cycle if you will directly clean the media with tap water out of the faucet.

Even if it has been conditioned? I mean really, what is the difference between that and a PWC?

What about well water with no chlorine? I assume one could rinse out ther filter media in clean, unconditioned well water and not harm the BB?

Back
Top Bottom