Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Filter media???

Hi I have a aqueon filters, with the activated carbon..... How often should I change filters? Also are biweekly - once a month water changes ok? That's what I've done since I've had the tank.... I've just been seeing a lot of people on here saying that they change theirs a lot more frequently.... When I take my water to checked its always in parameters.
__________________

__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Changing filter media only needs to be done when the old filter is literally falling apart. Even then the best way to do it is to leave the old filter pad in the filter along with the new one in order to allow the bacteria to spread.

As for water changes, its generally accepted that a weekly water change of 25-50% is good tank upkeep. Personally, I don't even bother with trying a less than 50% change. Doing weekly 50% changes gets even more important when you have live plants.

What are your nitrates usually at when you get them tested?
__________________

__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Changing filter media only needs to be done when the old filter is literally falling apart. Even then the best way to do it is to leave the old filter pad in the filter along with the new one in order to allow the bacteria to spread.

As for water changes, its generally accepted that a weekly water change of 25-50% is good tank upkeep. Personally, I don't even bother with trying a less than 50% change. Doing weekly 50% changes gets even more important when you have live plants.

What are your nitrates usually at when you get them tested?
I haven't had them tested since I planted.. I will get them tested tomorrow, I only have pH strips- I need to invest in a test kit, but I've been investing as I can afford...

What do the plants do to make the water bad??? Just curious.
__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifflexie View Post

I haven't had them tested since I planted.. I will get them tested tomorrow, I only have pH strips- I need to invest in a test kit, but I've been investing as I can afford...

What do the plants do to make the water bad??? Just curious.
It's not the plants themselves. Most tanks with at least a medium light level will require fertilizers to stave off algae. When you are fertilizing a tank the 50% water changes weekly are there to prevent a potential problem causing build up of nutrients in the water.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

It's not the plants themselves. Most tanks with at least a medium light level will require fertilizers to stave off algae. When you are fertilizing a tank the 50% water changes weekly are there to prevent a potential problem causing build up of nutrients in the water.
I haven't used any ferts, unless the dirt counts??? That was going to be one of my upcoming threads, asking about when you need ferts and co2.....
__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.