filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. how often do you rinse off your filter media in used tank water?

2. how often do you rinse out the filter container?

3. and how often do you clean the impeller?

How often it needs to be done will depend on the tank. As a general rule, the cleaner the filter, that is free of debris, the better it will work biologically. Removing solid material before it breaks down will help in reducing nitrates. So, you can clean your filters every water change, if you have an easy one such as an AquaClear. You can rinse the container as often as you clean the filter and while the impeller doesn't usually need attention that often, it doesn't hurt to keep it clean. In my opinion, waiting for the filter to tell you it is plugged, is leaving it too long.

oh yeah I understand that. I started taking care of an assisted living tank and it was so bad!

I also take care of a 55g gold fish tank with 2 HOBs and a new 2 week old canister, the HOB filter pads ( which I cut myself) rarely have debris, they just turn black in spots...

my 29 g fancy goldfish tank has 2 HOBs ( 1 is a aqua clear I added a week ago)

my fluval canister on my 60g community tank: the filter pads are generally dark but mostly tinted a green color

Back
Top Bottom