Filter tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have 2 aqua clear filters I have rcs and some mystery snail eggs about to hatch I have the tubes that have the cages on it but still big enough for rcs and baby snails ro get in what can I do.... Thought about getting some sponges (like filter sponges) and cutting a hole and slipping it over the tube any other advice

A sponge over the intake tube will do the trick. <I use an A/C block sponge. Wet the sponge & freeze it, then it will be easy to drill a hole that fit the intake tube snugly while the sponge is frozen.>

Another option is to use a new pair of nylon hose, cut off a piece & cover your intake strainer with it. <Secure the nylon with elastics.>

You can cut out the sponges like you said.. or you can use bits of unwashed plain pantyhose.

So I have 2 aqua clear filters I have rcs and some mystery snail eggs about to hatch I have the tubes that have the cages on it but still big enough for rcs and baby snails ro get in what can I do.... Thought about getting some sponges (like filter sponges) and cutting a hole and slipping it over the tube any other advice

I found some med/fine mesh bags at the dollar store and I just cut them up and zip tie them over intake tubes, bag up biomedia for filters, etc. Works great, no issues with additives and I get 4/$1.

Media bags work too, but jsoong's method is the best IMO.

I am a huge fan of "craft mesh". It is sold in the needlework aisle of any craft store. Comes in flat sheets, or shapes. I like the 3-dimensional egg. I paint them flat black with Krylon Fusion, let dry for several days, tie the top half to the bottom half with zip ties or fishing line, and then snip out 3-4 rows from the pointy end, just enough to fit around the filter intake pipe.

You may have to snip out the rows first, and slide the pointy end over the cage end of the filter intake first, and then attach the round end with zip ties. Basically, you are adding a much larger cage around the smaller cage that came with the filter. I have fancy goldfish with long fins, and need to keep them from getting those fins sucked up against the intake. Just make sure the egg can not slide off, or break into it's two pieces, and it will do the job very nicely.

glassbird said:
I am a huge fan of "craft mesh". It is sold in the needlework aisle of any craft store. Comes in flat sheets, or shapes. I like the 3-dimensional egg. I paint them flat black with Krylon Fusion, let dry for several days, tie the top half to the bottom half with zip ties or fishing line, and then snip out 3-4 rows from the pointy end, just enough to fit around the filter intake pipe.

You may have to snip out the rows first, and slide the pointy end over the cage end of the filter intake first, and then attach the round end with zip ties. Basically, you are adding a much larger cage around the smaller cage that came with the filter. I have fancy goldfish with long fins, and need to keep them from getting those fins sucked up against the intake. Just make sure the egg can not slide off, or break into it's two pieces, and it will do the job very nicely.

No worries about the paint eventually breaking down and leaching into the water?

No. Krylon Fusion has proven to be aquarium safe, and is used by many in both fresh and salt water on a wide variety of plastic surfaces. I have used it on craft mesh, PVC, and egg crate in my aquariums, and ponds. Just be sure to let it dry for at least a few days, a week is better. I mostly use the flat black, which seems to make everything blend and vanish visually.

Back
Top Bottom