Fish are dying left and right...need ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 9 year old has a ten gallon setup that we got from Walmart. It came with the filter, hood, etc. He has had in it about 5 guppies, a neon tetra, and 6 glow fish. The tank has been setup for about two months. He is now down to 4 fish plus a pleco. He lost the the first one about a week ago and has lost 4-5 in the last 24 hours. It appears they are getting sucked up to the filter inlet and can't get loose. One of them I found while he was stuck to it and still alive. Any ideas on how to keep his from happening? There is no flow adjustment on this filter either.

What kind of filter is it? And also the pleco will get to big for the tank. Also turn the filter off!!!!

I'm not concerned at all about the pleco in that I myself have several large tanks that he can go into once he reaches size. As far as the filter, it's just a small one that hangs on the back of the tank, very small one. I could post a pic if it would make a difference. Even if I turn off the filter, sure the fish won't get sucked into it but I would then not have filtration.

You could cover the intake tube in a piece of foam to prevent fish from getting sucked up but still allow water to get through.

Healthy fish will NOT get sucked into a filter.

What are the water parameters of the tank?

Jon

Haven't checked....hadn't even thought about that! Now that you entire it though I'm not sure when the last time was he that he did a water change. I'll look into that. What is interesting about your statement is that it has only been an issue for the last week and it seems to be getting worse. As I said its been setup for a couple of months and only now are we having the problem.

I just talked with him and he said he changed the water a few day ago right after the first one died. I asked him if he remembered to in water conditioner and he said that he was sure he did because it came out of the packet so fast. Sounds as if he put A LOT OF IT in. Can you put too much conditioner in?

Mcass said:
Haven't checked....hadn't even thought about that! Now that you entire it though I'm not sure when the last time was he that he did a water change. I'll look into that. What is interesting about your statement is that it has only been an issue for the last week and it seems to be getting worse. As I said its been setup for a couple of months and only now are we having the problem.

So water quality could be an issue.

If you can't remember the last time a PWC was done I would also check pH incase you've had a crash.

Jon

I would still double check the water parameters.

Depends upon the conditioner used as to what effects it will have from overdosing.

Prime for instance can be used up to 5x the recommended dosage.

Jon

Great....I'll check the parameters and go for there. Your comment about healthy fish makes perfect sense. This is a first for me dealing with such a small tank and such small fish. I have several tanks myself but they are all large tanks with large filtration systems, filled with African cichlids that are quite large and quite healthy. I just assumed the smaller fish maybe just didn't quite have the swimming power...lol.

Mcass said:
Great....I'll check the parameters and go for there. Your comment about healthy fish makes perfect sense. This is a first for me dealing with such a small tank and such small fish. I have several tanks myself but they are all large tanks with large filtration systems, filled with African cichlids that are quite large and quite healthy. I just assumed the smaller fish maybe just didn't quite have the swimming power...lol.

Don't get me wrong I've had a few tetras in my 50g community get stuck behind my extra internal filter and need assistance getting out but nothing ever goes up the intake.

Believe me little fish have plenty of power. My zebra danios and tetras love swimming around in the current from my Koralia Evolution 2800 litres per hour powerhead.

Check params post results and lets go from there.
Jon

Back
Top Bottom