fish for 10 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does any one know if i can keep all these fish in my ten gallon? Ive searched around online and thes are the ones i like can i get them if not whats your best suggestion on a pretty tank? the number of how many i want is on the left and their max size is on the right.

3 Golden White Cloud 2"
2 Zebra Danio 3"
1 Betta ?
1 Albino Aeneus Cory Cat 2.5"
3 Orange Sunshine Guppy 2"
4 Endler's Livebearer 1"
2 Black Molly 3"
1 Blue Platy 2"
1 Otocinclus Catfish 2"
4 Cardinal Tetra 2"
5 Celestial Pearl Danio 1"

Ps i like alot of fish in my tank and my tank has lots of weeds tunnels and hidding places. Thanks for all help.

That sounds like WAY too much for a 10 gallon. From what I have seen Danio can be agressive. I had 2 glolight danios 2 corys and an octo in a 5 gallon and one Danio picked on the other until it died. Moved them to a 29 and got 7 glowlight tetras and the Danio pounded them too so I got rid of him. I think you would be better to do something like a school of neons, a school of corys, a couple or 3 otocinculs and then maybe your 3 Guppys

No betta much too crowded for him. Mollies need a bigger tank. Corys want to be in groups. I think danios need more swimming room. Pick one group ie guppies or one of the tetras or the minnows. They will do very well in a ten by themselves.

the endlers will have fry if you have both sexes... so either be prepared to pull them out of the tank and have other homes for them or decide to let them be eaten.

otos from what I have heard are somewhat like cories- bottom dwellers, algae munchers, etc. i might just get another cory or three to go with the albino you already have.

That is way too many fish for a 10g. Think of it this way: you can have 10 fish MAX in your tank with several exceptions.

Rules to the inch/gallon guideline:

1.) Inches of fish = the eventual ADULT size of the fish, not the current size.
2.) The eventual ADULT aggression of the fish. Aggressive fish need ~5gal or more per aggressive fish.
3.) The messiness of the fish. Large fish are messy. Platies and mollies are messy.
4.) Large fish (about 5 inch or more) need more than just 1 inch/gallon. They need at least double the space and possibly up to 5 times more space than 1 inch/gallon.
5.) Active fish (like danios) need more space.
6.) In some cases you can have more fish, eg. in a species only 10g neon tank you could have ~12-15 neons.
7.) Just because you do larger water changes more often and have larger-than-required filtration, doesn't mean your tank is absolved of these rules, only that you can bend them somewhat.

You know your tank is overstocked when.....
otherwise peaceful community fish are very aggressive.
you just added a new batch of fish to your tank and otherwise healthy fish suddenly die.
etc, etc, etc....

As a responsible fish-keeper you need to first do your research and second observe your tank.

otos are good for a 10-gallon. they are small.

if you want to, you can post your final selections so people here can help you make sure you are not overstocking your tank.

In addition to your current mollies and a cory... that's 10 fish. Mollies are a little messy but if you keep up on PWCs and vacuuming I think you'll be OK.

Not an expert tho.

Cories can get to be about 3" depending on what kind you get. 4x3=12. Mollies are messy and are what, 2"? 2x4=8x2(for messy)=16. 1 oto = negligible bioload.

I'd say, keep the 2 mollies you currently have, add 2 more corys for a total of 3 corys, and you can get an oto. So that would be adding 2 corys and an oto. You might want to add 2 or 3 otos because they're fragile/sensitive and most likely to die after you add them. Plus 3 otos won't hurt your bioload.

Your total tank occupants would be:
2 mollies
3 corys
1-3 otos

That's all for j00.

When I think of a 10 gallon tank I don't even think of fish. I think of amphibians or rodents, lol. That's not to say you can't keep fish in a ten gallon tank; many people have great 10 gallen tanks. However , the amount of fish is really limited. I would say go for a 20 gallon tank. It's only twice the money and size, which means its like $20, plus you can put way more fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom