Fish ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guianacara owroewefi
100% positive on the gnus, 90% sure on species

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Guianacara is an awesome genus, a fish that's like a mix of the acaras and the earth eaters, basically what you'd get if you bred a geophagus species with a keyhole cichlid. If you have a planted tank, they will uproot plants with their digging. They max out at around 5 inches, but are generally smaller. They are incredibly goofy in behavior, and are awesome. These are some of my favorite cichlids, and post people don't even know they exist!

They do tend to do better in small groups, but can be kept solo. They also really need sand, as they are sifters, much like geophagus. They also need an aquarium of 30 gallons or larger. That appears to be a male, and make sure you don't have overly aggressive fish, or extremely peaceful fish. These all somewhere in between. They're susceptible to bullying, but they can also be pretty pushy at times. What size tank and stock do you have?

I will also say this is for sure owroewefi and not sphenozona based on the body and head stripe. Each species has slightly different stripes, and really only 3 are "common" in the trade, although they are a rarer fish. There's a fourth, geayi, that's in the hobby but very rare, living in French Suriname, which doesn't export often

Based on the position of the "spot" on the side of the body being more towards the center of the bold line, and the facial line starting out bold on top of the eye, and tapering under the eye, I decided on owroewefi.

Stergiosi tends to have a much smaller spot on the side within the bold line, and the line on the face tends to be of consistent thickness the entire length

Can you post a pic of the fish that does not show the mid lateral bar so that I can get a look at the mid lateral spot's position and shape?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The spot is clearly above the lateral line, which would actually point to sphenozona rather than owroewefi or stergiosi. Man I forgot how difficult IDing Guianacara can be! Luckily they're all very similar in behavior

But sphenozona typically doesn't have black on the dorsal, where as the other two species do :/

The spot is clearly above the lateral line, which would actually point to sphenozona rather than owroewefi or stergiosi. Man I forgot how difficult IDing Guianacara can be! Luckily they're all very similar in behavior

But sphenozona typically doesn't have black on the dorsal, where as the other two species do :/

Yeah not my favorite genus to id either lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very cool !! I love the look of the acaras body shape with the snout of a geo. Jealous!

It's definitely either owroewefi, stergiosi, or sphenozona. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm gonna stick with my original guess of owroewefi, as the spot is at the lateral line.

Honduran red points tend to be a toned down version of convicts temperament wise. They can still be quite feisty, especially when spawning, much like most, if not all Central American species.

I'd be careful with a breeding pair in with a guianacara. A pair of spawning amatitlania species (whether it be sp. "Honduran red point", siqua, or the well known nigrofasciata, aka the black convict) is a force to be reckoned with, and I'm afraid a guianacara may not be able to withstand the abuse. Have a spare tank ready just in case. How big is this tank exactly?

I'm gonna stick with my original guess of owroewefi, as the spot is at the lateral line.

Honduran red points tend to be a toned down version of convicts temperament wise. They can still be quite feisty, especially when spawning, much like most, if not all Central American species.

I'd be careful with a breeding pair in with a guianacara. A pair of spawning amatitlania species (whether it be sp. "Honduran red point", siqua, or the well known nigrofasciata, aka the black convict) is a force to be reckoned with, and I'm afraid a guianacara may not be able to withstand the abuse. Have a spare tank ready just in case. How big is this tank exactly?

I've already moved them into there own tank because the person I bought them from told me they were about to lay eggs. They are in a 30gallon.

That's good, otherwise that guianacara would have ended up shredded. I'd hate to see such a beautiful and amazing species get shredded by anything

Back
Top Bottom