FIsh ID: SAE or Flying Fox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is this fish an SAE?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'd just wait to see if they start destroying your beard/hair algea.

AshleyNicole said:
The black strip extending into the tail is a trait of both the flying fox and the SAE. The more i look at them the more i want to say that they are SAE and not flying foxes. And also your description of their activity seems more like SAE as well. I say if you like them keep them.. lol. Have you looked at the barbells yet?

Hey! The quote works now (never used to)

Yeah, 2 barbells (one on either side)

I'd keep them, but flying foxes are known for being semi agressive. I have some neons in there i worry about with a semi agressive fish.

*edit* So i really wanna be sure... But judging by the vote results...

Does anyone need another photo to really REALLY determine if these are SAE's?

Also, click on the picture... most of them are maxxed at 1024X768, so its really good quality.

I would like to see a photo of the tail. to me it's a surefire way of telling the difference. can you get them to line up so the tails are one on top of the other?

Simpte. beat you with that link :D

The first picture definately looks like a flying fox, the others, well they aren't that conclusive or they point to SAE, are these fish identical?The first one has more traights of a FF then an SAE. the outlined scales are definately SAE...

the black horizontal stripe goes from nose to the fork of the tail like on Siamese Algae Eater, but the part going through the tail fin in darker and broader. There is a narrow golden stripe over the black. Dorsal, anal and pelvic fins have indistinctive dark bands and bright white tips.

You can see why it's so easy to confuse these fish.

If they sem to get along then I assume they are the same species, I will say, SAE. assuming the first picture has some reflection highlighting the golden band and the tail..

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I would like to see a photo of the tail. to me it's a surefire way of telling the difference. can you get them to line up so the tails are one on top of the other?

One hides on its own quite a bit. in a darker corner of the tank. I'll see if i can't get them all. 2 of them are VERY tight... always beside eachother.

More pictures, including a decent fin shot. The black stripe appears to narrow to a point in the back fin. Is that Flying Fox-like or SAE?

Attachments

• 2saefin_554.jpg
    2saefin_554.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 2saes_452.jpg
    2saes_452.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 24
If it tapers off, then it's SAE. that bottom picture is definately 100% SAE. Pictures don't do it justice, but if they look exactly like the bottom one then they are definately SAE.

for the clear fin thing, when i got mine they were clear, but something in my food "enhances color" and make it a little yellower... i thought it looked better clear though

There is a hint of red in that dorsal fin.... or is that just me?

SAE- "Underparts are silvery white and there is no light stripe over the black"

Flying Fox - " There is a narrow golden stripe over the black"

I know ive been going back and forth but now im going to definitely say Flying fox becuase of these reasons: The stripe through the tail is broad, there is a distinct gold bar over the black, AND their is a hint of red color in those dorsal fins... especially in that closeup pic.

no red, i think. I think its just the brownish tint of my drifwood behind the fish coming through.

I am honestly stumped now. Soo much contradictory information. They are schooling wonderfully, and tend to sit at the bottom in the middle of the tank. They are skiddish, and run from most other fish (except neons, they just dont care about them) They have 2 whiskers TOTAL, and completely CLEAR fins. The black line stays the same width if they are swimming, but as soon as they are just "floating" or sitting the line tapers off into a point.
The "gold" strip doesn't seem to be visibile unless i use the flash on the camera. THeir black stripe is almost grey in the morning. They have no sucker mouth (or a very little one at that)

I've yet to see them eat. But they all appear healthy.

2 of them school more than the third one, but he does ocasionally school with the pair.
They don't eat the plants. they rest in them sometimes though.

They startle fairly easily.

That is all. I'm either going to return them tommorow, or keep them until they pass (hopefully a long time)

SAE or no? this is the million dollar question, and this is the "final answer" Please vote! If you voted yes, and are now a "no" (or vice versa) please let me know.

:S Frustration. Still no concrete answer... its 6 in favor of yes... 9 in favor of no. Most people WRITE yes, but most people vote no. Bah. I'm upping my CO2 to help battle the BBA, as i'm going to CUBA for a week! *does the happy dance*

I'll keep these fish, i guess. Big al's is OK about buying back fish if worst comes to worst.

I'm getting overstocked too. I now have:

10 neons, 2 tiji cories, 1 2.5 inch clown loach, one CAE, (3 inch) 3 cherry barbs, 3 black phantom tetra's, 1 golden gourami, and 1 boesaumi rainbow fish

As well as 3 of these mystery fish.

GLORIOUSNESS! I just just staring off into my tank... and one of the new "SAE's" was eating the algae... Black with the green!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!

I'm guessing at least THAT one is an SAE!!!!

I've packed my camera already so i cant really show you!
WOOOO HOOO!
*does the happy dance*

Do flying foxes eat the dark green algae that you have to scarpe off, but is still very slightly "fuzzy" (not the hard dots that form on glass)

yayyyy

if you think they are SAE after all of the research presented then that's probably what they are. As i said i went back and forth.. its so hard to tell from pictures becuase of lighitng and other issues... lol. The ones i have btw are doing an excellent job with the algae in my planted tank.

There are a few new "stripes of clean on my driftwood. I'm sure at least ONE of them is an SAE. without a doubt.

I watched one in joy for almost 5 minutes eat the algae off the top of my driftwod (the stump)
THey eat ALLLLL the algae. THe green, and the black. What a godly fish! I love it!

in all reality you would be better off asking people what they think the scientific name is on these fish and if they think they will eat you algea.

there are so many common names flying around like sae cae siamese algea eater siamese flying fox flying fox ect. some of them are the same and some of themare totally different.

i have a flying fox with the gold bar just like yours... i think its a fox... as far as aggression goes, he is pretty much always chasing my balas

"Crossocheilus siamensis (Siamese Algae Eater)"

The gold bar can be a reflection. the barbles are not that easy to prove. the other 2 could be tucked up. however the 2 features that are key.

1) most importantly the tail. The black lateral line should taper towards the fork in the tail.

2) Scales, the scales on the upper back should appear to be outlined in black.

The last pick posted matches this, as do a couple of the others. The ID is above, if they all match that last picture, then they are all SAE.

Also, you may notice them fighting for a bit. it happens, they're just getting used to their pecking order, almost every fish will do this in a group..

Wizzard, THe tail USUALLY tapers. WHen they are swimming actively, its pretty much the same width as the stripe.

Yes, the fish is "grey" because each scale has a bit of darkness around it.

My BBA is slowly dissipearing. THey don't eat the BIG tufts of it yet, but they've done a pretty good job at getting the new growth. GUess it tastes better? lol

ANywho, This may be the last post i have for a week or so, As i'll be going on a glorious vacation.

AND think i'm going to splurge the 30 Cuban Conv. Peso's to go scuba diving!!!

(i wish i had an underwater camera!)

Back
Top Bottom