Fish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lclark88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm pretty new to keeping fish and I've had my tank since August. I have an angelfish some swordtails and now some mollies. I've had about 6 swordtail die on me and two mollies in about 3 months and I don't know why. My water tests fine for ammonia and there's never any marks on then like they've been hurt. I've had the same angelfish since I September so I'm not sure if the other fish tend to just die but I need help.
Please and thanks.

Did u check for ph level and nitrite?? Could
Not be eating too

I haven't checked my ph I will do that. I see them eat for the most part. My tank is 36 gallons.

Some more information will help us to help you out! Tank size, exact readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph, what your using to test (liquid or strips), how often/how much are your pwcs (partial water changes), and what you are feeding (type food/how often) are some of the things we will need to know to help you.

So I'm not at home right now so I don't have all the information but my tank is 36g I change about 20% of the water once a week i use the liquid test and I feel them twice a day. I'll get the rest of the info when I get home.

Hey sorry this took me so long to get back but I tested my ammonia and my nitrite and they both have zero colour so it's 0. And I feed them nutrafin max tropical fish flakes. I didn't test for ph or nitrate because I don't have test kits for those but I will get some tomorrow and let you know what they are at. Thanks again.

I use the liquid tests and I don't wash my filter because I read somewhere it would recycle your tank.

I think your Angelfish maybe the problem, love. Last I checked they are very aggressive fish; but I could be wrong. :/ My uncle has about 5 of them and they are seriously mean.

So I could only find a ph test and it's at 7.2. I won't be able to get the nitrate test kit until the end of the weekend.

Did you used water condition to your tap water. I forgot it once I poisend my fish once

Testing nitrates would be a good idea; a 20% water change per week may not be enough. Also do you notice any symptoms before they die? My other thought would be swim bladder/bloat issues maybe? Feeding fish once per day should be more than enough and it might be good to fast them for one day a week as well. I can't really see anything else out of the ordinary that would be causing problems with the info given so far.

I myself have never had any luck keeping swordtails successfully and I'm an experienced hobbyist! I finally gave up trying to keep them and I no longer purchase them or plan to do so anytime in the future they seem to be susceptible to some strange disease that I never could diagnose when everything else in my tanks thrive. I've never had Mollies so not sure about those!

I'll try feeding them less and changing the water more. And once I get a nitrate test all do that. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom