Fish needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have a 15g tank with a freshwater puffer in it with lots of plants I bought a Hong Kong pleco last night and my puffer killed it I need a fish to clean my tank any help

My dwarf puffer leaves ghost shrimp alone , actually most shrimp. Have a bamboo and red cherry shrimp too

Hmmm maybe ill try it but it litteraly tore the lil pleco apart ripped out the eyes ate it's tail ate half the body it's was crazy

That is going to be on you to clean up. Don't rely on a fish to do it for you. This is also a common misconception about bottom feeders. Just remember that bottom feeders only eat un eaten food on the bottom, they do not eat the poop. The only what that gets poop out is by water changes and vacuuming your substrate.

ok so what do you think i could put in the tank cuz im fifteen and i go to school all day and then half the time i have work so alot of times i dont have time to clean the tank

I suggest a magnetic cleaner. What kind of puffer do you have in the 15g?

ok so what do you think i could put in the tank cuz im fifteen and i go to school all day and then half the time i have work so alot of times i dont have time to clean the tank

IMO there's no excuse for not cleaning your tank, you just have to make time for it. It may be extra work but your pets really deserve it. Scraping the tank glass can take only a couple of minutes with a mag float or algae scraper, may it a routine. Along with my water changes every Saturday I scrape the glass as the tank drains, might as well I'm already there right?

I haven't read through all comments, but I did see in the last comment someone mentioned oto's. Oto's can be picky eaters and can be hard to keep alive. They do not do well at all in a new tank, they need a health, established and mature tank. I wouldnt add oto's before 3 months after the tank is completely cycled, even then I would be leery of adding them. I'm not exactly sure of the time table of adding them, so don't hold me to time frames I mentioned but I do know do sure that they do need established and mature tanks.

It is true that otos are picky, and that many times they are near starving by the time they get to the store. However, there is a simple test you can do before adding otos - run your finger on the inside of the tank walls, if it squeaks like clean glass, the tank is not ready. If it is slimy, there is sufficient biofilm and you can add some otos.

But what are your water params? This hasn't been answered yet.

I'm not sure what role parameters play in the addition of otos, they require the same basic water params as other fish. The main concern is the amount of food present for them in the tank.

Some people culture algae on a rock for their otos or plecos, this would be a good idea. Put a rock in a jar of tank water and set it on a very sunny window for a few weeks. Then put the algae - covered rock in the tank, and let the otos have a feast (y)

It is true that otos are picky, and that many times they are near starving by the time they get to the store. However, there is a simple test you can do before adding otos - run your finger on the inside of the tank walls, if it squeaks like clean glass, the tank is not ready. If it is slimy, there is sufficient biofilm and you can add some otos.

I'm not sure what role parameters play in the addition of otos, they require the same basic water params as other fish. The main concern is the amount of food present for them in the tank.

Some people culture algae on a rock for their otos or plecos, this would be a good idea. Put a rock in a jar of tank water and set it on a very sunny window for a few weeks. Then put the algae - covered rock in the tank, and let the otos have a feast (y)

I was asking to make sure the tank is really cycled. Also because a common misconception to those new to the hobby think that running a tank for a week or two cycles it, which many of us who have been at this for a while knows that does absolutely nothing. Just making sure OP understands what cycling really is.

Back
Top Bottom