Fish only grow to the size of their aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is an argument that I have been having with several people, and I just want to know the truth. A friend of mine has a roommate who has 2 oscars in a 10 maybe 20 gallon tank (I'm pretty sure it was 10). When I saw it, my jaw almost dropped. They are in a small apartment (college students) who have no room for a larger tank. I thought these fish were relatively agressive as well, so I'm kind of worried about the 2 together in such a small tank. I just want to knwo the truth so they can get some fish they can enjoy and who will be happy. I don't think two oscars can live happily in a 10-20 gallon aquarium, but perhaps I'm wrong...

Im sorry but no fish should be kept like that,if they don't have enough room for one let alone TWO in the same tank they shouldn't even have them.
Most fish don't grow only to the size of the tank,my sisters roomate at her apartment has an oscar in a 15 gallon thats so long when it lays down its curls around the tank a bit.Some fish get stunted,obviously if you put a gar in a 10 gallon its not gonna reach its full size,itll probably die first.

Tell them to get a bigger tank or to get rid of them,keeping them in such a tiny spot its a little cruel if you ask me. Tell them to get some other fish like cichlids,danios or something else that gets smaller.

Thanks :) I'm glad I'm not just crazy. I tried to explain that to them and they basically just laughed at me. The guy insists that fish only grow to the size of their aquarium.

Im sorry but i really hate people who do this type of thing,its like sticking you and your worst enemy in a closet for your whole life.....

lol I understand, I hate it to, which is why I'm posting on here trying to get information to send to my friend's roommate.

Ask your friends room mate if you can lock him in the shower stall for life.... to feed him, just toss in some whatever. Let him run the water to clean it out once a week, but for no more than a few minutes.

Sorry! I looked around for a post about this, even typed in the search, but must not have searched for the right thing.

On the subject, my loaches will someday outgrow my tank. Does anyone know how long that'll take, it'll be a pretty long while before I can get a 55 gallon. (going to college in a year) I hear they grow really slowly.

Clown loaches tend to grow fast at first but once they hit about 4 inches their growth slows down. That said.....I think the growth rate of any fish depends on a variety of factors including how many times a day the fish is fed, what size tank it is in, and how often you change the water. Also it would be more ideal to have at least 4-6 clown loaches vs two however even a 55 gallon is too small for a proper school.

Essentially, the 'myth' is that fish only grow to match the size of their tank.
In reality, the 'truth' is that fish will grow deformed, in order to still fit in the tank.

Its not too hard to see either. HEad to a fish store, and look for any tanks with BIG fish...like adult oscars. You'll likely see at least one with a bent spine, and lots of scarring from multiple bouts of hole-in-the-head disease...often attributed to keepign oscars in small tank with bad water quality.

Back
Top Bottom