Fish owner nightmare story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay this is kind of a long story but feel free to read. So about 20 minutes ago I was lying on my couch playing on my ipod when I heard a flopping noise. I looked around and I see on my aquarium, some how my sunset plattie had jumped out, landed on the tank cover, and then flopped on the carpet. I was freaking out trying to gently coax his body onto a towel as he flopped around gasping for air. I put him back in the tank and was relieved to know the incident was over until I looked in my tank and noticed another fish gone! I was looking all over my tank expecting to see him hiding some where or at worst dead in the tank. No sight of him at all. I thought about him jumping out like the previous fish and looked around the table and carpet for him but no luck. I was utterly confused until i thought he might have jumped behind the table and in between the wall which would absolutely be the worst thing. I looked but it was dark so I used my iphone flashlight and there he was. His body laying there covered in dust. I sighed and attempted to retrieve his dead body with a chopstick that I had on site. I tried to pull his sticky body over but then he started to frantically frail. There's no word that would describe how freaked out I was then. I had to pull the 100 pound table out of the way and scrape him off the carpet with a piece of paper and take him to the closes cup of water that I could. Still covered in dust and lint he, sprang back to life. I put him into a hospital tank by himself, added stress coat, and put a towel over the tank to keep it dark. I finally sit back in relief praying that my little sunset will be okay. Well that was my horror story of today. I dont even know how both of them jumped through a 3 inch gal but I will sure fix my cover now to make sure 110% of it is covered.

That's strange.. I've had platy in a lidless tank for a while with no issues. Hope he bounces back for you.

How is your water quality. Sometimes fish are known to jump from their tanks if there is an issue with their water. Might be worth a test to be sure.

My guppies sometimes try to swim into the filter pour out. Last time we were trying to get him out, he jumped out and got the windowsill and then the floor. He survived, but I always keep my tanks covered. Always.

Hope your fish makes it! Fingers crossed!

Update on the platy. The little guys seems to be doing fine in the hospital tank thankfully. Water params have been stuck on 1 ppm ammonia lately because these platies are about a week old. The tank is going through a miny cycle. Hopefully it will go down soon.

Are you not doing water changes? You should be bringing those levels down, that's pretty high.

I've been doing about 20% water changes every day but it still seems to be stuck.

With a 1ppm you will need to do a much larger change to get it down. Probably a couple honestly. I'd do a 50% change and then wait an hour and test. See where it is and if it's still above .5ppm(which I'd expect) do another change.

Once you get levels above .50ppm it usually takes some larger or back to back changes.

Back
Top Bottom