Fish retirement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I read things like using cycling fish, and getting rid of one kind of fish because you want to have a different kind now, or even people suggesting baby fish that will definately need new tanks when they grow. What do you do with these fish? Some of you seem to use a type of fish you don't like for cycles and then rather than keeping the fish in the tank you get rid of them and introduce the fish you like. How do you get rid of the "used" cycle fish. Sometimes it sounds like you all just take the fish you don't want and toss them in the garbage or flush them. Or I see people suggesting baby fish to people, when you know that the people must buy a big tank for when these fish grow. Either that or you expect them to find new homes or kill the fish when they get too big for their ornamental purpose. Somebody clarify these things please. Geesh, I'm waiting for my old male betta to die so I can get rid of a tank, but I continue feeding him and cleaning his tank, I'm not going to speed up the process because he's inconvenient.

DepotFish said:
Ok so I read things like using cycling fish, and getting rid of one kind of fish because you want to have a different kind now, or even people suggesting baby fish that will definately need new tanks when they grow. What do you do with these fish? Some of you seem to use a type of fish you don't like for cycles and then rather than keeping the fish in the tank you get rid of them and introduce the fish you like. How do you get rid of the "used" cycle fish. Sometimes it sounds like you all just take the fish you don't want and toss them in the garbage or flush them. Or I see people suggesting baby fish to people, when you know that the people must buy a big tank for when these fish grow. Either that or you expect them to find new homes or kill the fish when they get too big for their ornamental purpose. Somebody clarify these things please. Geesh, I'm waiting for my old male betta to die so I can get rid of a tank, but I continue feeding him and cleaning his tank, I'm not going to speed up the process because he's inconvenient.

Where are you reading these things? We never, to my knowledge, advocate fish cycling, let alone "tossing" cycle fish or suggesting buying a small fish knowing it will outgrow it's tank. If for some reason an aquarist does obtain a fish that will eventually become to large, or does cycle with fish out of sheer lack of knowledge, it's always suggested they upgrade, return the fish to the lfs or give them away to someone more prepared to care for them.

@ Fluff: Of course nobody in this forum tells beginners to handle fish like that (fishcycle etc), but there are quite a few people in this forum starting out like that and I have read many threats like that too.

Someone mentioning that they bought some goldfish to cycle their tank, others bought catfish that will outgrow the tank in a few month etc, that is a thing I came across quite often here. I suppose the fish are flushed, dumped in the trash, or end as food for bigger fish.

A more humane way of "getting rid" of fish would be a local Aquarium Society auction. You are likely to find an owner who is better equiped or more willing to deal with a particular animal than you are.

When i discovered i had fish that were too big for me i simply took them back to the store, no problem. I've never heard of anyone on AA flushing a live and healthy fish, unless you are talking about culling babies. As for the cycle fish, I have read some about that. I just assumed they kept them once they were done or took them back to the store.

Tiffi said:
@ Fluff: Of course nobody in this forum tells beginners to handle fish like that (fishcycle etc), but there are quite a few people in this forum starting out like that and I have read many threats like that too.

Someone mentioning that they bought some goldfish to cycle their tank, others bought catfish that will outgrow the tank in a few month etc, that is a thing I came across quite often here. I suppose the fish are flushed, dumped in the trash, or end as food for bigger fish.

I understand that Tiff, but the "What do you do with these fish? Some of you seem to use a type of fish you... Sometimes it sounds like you all just take the fish you don't want and toss them in the garbage or flush them. Or I see people suggesting baby fish to people...etc." reads as though the post was directed at AA members in general and not just newbies.

I know someone could understand it like that, but I assume nobody does that with their fish except newbies. At least I've never heard about it from more professional hobbyists, not that I don't think they might do it, too.

I wasn't aiming at anybody in particular. I suppose it was a few weeks ago when I read somebody was speaking of switching fish types in their current tank, I don't remember who or what the thread was called but I got the impression that they still had fish that they didn't want. I've read quite a few threads on fish cycling and wasn't sure if those people brought the fish back to the store or what, it always seemed like they got rid of the fish after using them for cycling. I just was curious as to whether you actually go out and find homes for these unwanted fish or what. I didn't know there were so many auctions in which you could sell fish easy. I don't really pay attention to who says what, new people or regular members, I know I've seen somebody reccommend fish that are going to grow big to a newbie and if the new person is like me they aren't going to know of any auctions to get rid of the fish at when they are too big. I see now that many of you regulars have written fishless cycling in by your tank descriptions or signitures.

Quite often the lfs will take back larger fish and give you store credit. I don't think there are members here who would intentionally mislead a newbie.

I am quite sure that the majority of members have suggested fishless cycling, I see this majority of the time. I cannot recall a thread where someone was given advice to cycle a tank with fish that will outgrow a tank.

I seen many threads posted by members who have already purchased fish that they would not have purchased if they had prior knowledge of the fishs' profile. These members have been advised to take these fish back to LFS if possible. Aquarium Clubs are great for sharing fish with other aquarists if you happen to have one locally.

Another context that this could have come up in is that people will often get a larger number of a particular type of fish than they intend to keep in the hopes of getting a mating pair (common example being angels). The remaining fish, however, would most likely be brought back to the LFS.

another issue you seem to raise is members or a member restocking a tank that obviously had fish in it before..
Ive read this before here myself, more then once.. If the member doesnt mention how they are dealing with there old stock.. its safe to assume the fish were taken to a LFS for store credit IMO. I really doubt anyone is flushing or throwing away a tank full of electric yellow labs. because they wanted to switch over to discus.. for example.. I try to leave it at that and not bug them with the "why did you change your mind" questions..

I sure hope that nobody is disposing of live fish by flushing them! It's cruel for the fish. I'd also be concerned that it introduces a species, bacterias, parasites and what not in the environment -- considering that there are still cities that reject their waste water without treating them first (I wouldn't even flush a dead fish...).

I really think that people who decide to change the fish in their tank for different kinds, or to cycle a tank with fish they don't intend to keep (goldfish and zebra danios seem to be in that category), or who can't keep a fish that got too big, will take them back to the lfs. Maybe someday there will be fish adoption (and protection...) at the Humane Society!

well, I at least know where the pacu retirment home is.
Its at this seriously old fish shop by me that has about 8 pacus that are seriously pushing over 2 feet. I was going to try to post some pics of this just to try to get some people to not buy them.

Back
Top Bottom