Fish stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukester

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK. I need to know if my tank is overstocked or not. I have a 37 gallon top fin starter kit(im new to the hobby).

Here's my stock,

1 Angelfish
1 cherry barb(had 6 but I've been striked by the dreaded ICH.)
6 Dalmatian molly's
4 red wag platys (same thing as the barbs)
1 Opaline gourami
1 clown pleco

Dont be afraid to give me some constructive criticism.

How long has your tank been set up?
Your gourami and angelfish may eventually start to fight as they get older. I would rehome one of them.
Are the mollies/platys a single gender or do you have the 1:2 ratio. Those will both breed like rabbits and fill your tank.

I agree with SaraB: you're not overstocked right now, but you will be as the livebearers breed. (Trust me, I'm going through my own platy Malthusian crisis right now.) The angel will eat some of the fry, but not enough.

I would like to add something. Since you have a 37 gallon tank I don't think gourami and angel will fight since they have very many space to be. Decorate your tank beautifully with hiding spots in case if things go south. At this point your tank is not overstocked at all. But breeding can be a problem in the long run as Barliman and SaraB pointed.

Ok, thank you! I have another question. Why is my tank getting so dirty only a couple days after a clean.(I gravel vac,50% water,scrub glass). Am I missing something. Also Idk if my filter cartridge needs to be changed. Ik it gets rid of some of the beneficial bacteria. The filter cartridge is brown. Also is there something I can do to get rid of the smell? Finally, is there steps i need to do prior of putting the new filter cartridge in?
Yes I have the 1:2 ratio. Is that bad? I've seen some fry along the bottom of the tank but the angelfish DESTROYS them.

Tank has been set up for around 2 months before the addition of fish.

Sorry for all the questions!!

No not floating in water. Just lots of algae and cloudiness(spelled wrong?) I have a top fin silent stream 40.

I'm by no means an expert but cloudy usually means a bacteria bloom which as long as your water parameters are ok will clear up on its own *in my experience*
I usually just run my filters without the cartridges and bio wheels(I HATE bio wheels) with *maybe* some lava rock in the bottom and filter floss on top. I have had an *earthy* smell.but never anything obnoxious and the floss tends to trap anything that is floating, sometimes it takes a day or two but eventually.....
If the cartridges are looking REALLY dirty, rinse/squeeze them out in some of the water from your water change til they are better looking.

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It is sounding like a bacterial bloom which is normal, and I am assuming you are didn't do a fishless cycle. The only worrying thing is the smell. Do not change the filter cartridge just shake it out in a bucket of dirty fish water don't change those until they are falling apart! Lots of water changes and sometime and you will have an awesome tank soon!

Sorry I've been gone. Had a major tank problem happen.
Casualties:
clown pleco
cherry barb
3 Dalmatian molly's.

Ammonia is 3 ppm(dead fish)
nitrite 0
nitrate 15

i did do a fishless cycle

why is the smell worrying?

Your ammonia is too high. It should be at 0. Do some large water changes to get it down.

Ok. Got them out and did 3 60% water changes in the past week. Ammonia is 0
nitrite and nitrate are also down as well. But the algae keeps coming back. I've looked into algae eating fish but I dont want plecos bc they keep dying on me. Cory cats the same. I dont want any wild caught fish such as the oto's. Maybe siamese algae eater/fox. Need suggestions.

Nerite snails are great algae eaters and won't breed in your tank. You'll see eggs but they won't hatch and your fish will probably eat them.

idk about snails. They dont look that appealing to me and I think I would rarely see them. But if I had to pick them I would put them on the bottom of my list. I also wanna know if the like the glass too or just stick to the substrate.

Also, I kinda want a planted tank. I've got water wisteria, Anubias nana, and amazon sword. Looking for a carpeting plant. Java moss looks cool but idk if I could clean in between it unless I constantly pull it up. Any suggestions on carpeting plants and Algae eaters.

Shrimp could keep your carpet clean but not your glass. Your angelfish will also probably eat them.
Snails have no trouble with glass and come in a variety of pretty colours.

is their any larger nerite snails. Would they also be able to clean the carpet. Also I've been looking into Siamese algae eaters. Is there a best/better carpeting option.

Mystery snails are part of the apple snail family and get a decent size. They breed in freshwater.
Not sure how well siamese algae eaters will do for a carpet. They get up to 6" and need to be in a school. I've also never had them but I hear good things about them.

I've Heard people say that they come out of the water and sometimes on the floor. I that true. Also would the angelfish eat them. At the pet store I see these eel like things(kuhili loaches?) but i also see a peacock eel(really a half banded spiny eel. woud those clean algae/carpet

No you are fine as long you have a lid on your tank. Mo angelfish don't eat snails, they might if it's already dead but not if it's alive.

k. They were kuhili loaches. Would they be a good option for carpet plants. They seem a bit small though. Is there a bigger species. The spiny eel is too big for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom