Fish stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It can be. They graze most of the day but they also just hang out on plants walls etc. but considering you so recently had ammonia issues keep up the testing to ensure everything is good.

They’re fun little fish; I adore them.

I've noticed that. They are funny and cool so I'm thinking about getting more once all this is over and my tank starts settling down. I will keep everything up to date. One final question, Does the filter that you use matter. I have a hang on back filter. Is a canister or under gravel one better.

It definitely matters. I use hang on back filters myself. Canisters are often more efficient and are common in larger set ups. Also more expensive than HOB.

Under gravel filters use to be very popular but you don’t see them much anymore.
They can be a pain maintenance wise, I’ve heard, but I’ve never used one myself.

What kind of HOB are you using right now? You want one that can move enough water and have enough media capacity to keep things stable.

On of those top fin ones with the cartridge, it looks like?

It will work but it’s honestly not ideal. I used one like that for a little while before I realized that every time I had to change the cartridge I was going to be tossing the bulk of my biological filtration. I replaced it with an aquaclear. It’s still running with the same sponge and bio media I put in it when I bought the thing a decade ago! The cartridges tend to start to fall apart or clog more quickly each time you clean within a couple months and you have no choice but to replace them.

It’s up to you whether you feel you need to replace it. If you don’t just be aware that when you change cartridges you need to watch out for ammonia issues and may not be able to stock quite as heavily as if you overfiltered the tank.

On of those top fin ones with the cartridge, it looks like?

It will work but it’s honestly not ideal. I used one like that for a little while before I realized that every time I had to change the cartridge I was going to be tossing the bulk of my biological filtration. I replaced it with an aquaclear. It’s still running with the same sponge and bio media I put in it when I bought the thing a decade ago! The cartridges tend to start to fall apart or clog more quickly each time you clean within a couple months and you have no choice but to replace them.

It’s up to you whether you feel you need to replace it. If you don’t just be aware that when you change cartridges you need to watch out for ammonia issues and may not be able to stock quite as heavily as if you overfiltered the tank.

I saw those at the petstore and debated buying one. If I were to get an aquaclear what do you think I should get. 30? 50? Also could I just run two filters until the one gets the good bacteria then just take the other one out. Is there a way to get the good bacteria in the new filter faster or just run it like the other filter.

Also, i did a water change lastnight, and today my tank looked the best it has since I first set it up.

I saw those at the petstore and debated buying one. If I were to get an aquaclear what do you think I should get. 30? 50? Also could I just run two filters until the one gets the good bacteria then just take the other one out. Is there a way to get the good bacteria in the new filter faster or just run it like the other filter.

Also, i did a water change a week ago, and my tank looked the best it has since I first set it up.

I’d go with the 50 or 70. I have a 70 on my 29 gallon so I have tons of room for media and you can dial back the flow so fish don’t get pushed around. run the filters in parallel for a while and / or move all of the media from your old filter into your new filter. Test regularly whenever you change something to do with your filter to ensure no mini cycle.

ok. quick update. Haven't been able to get the filter yet. The oto's died bc of a water change i think. The tank became cloudy but then i cleaned it and its getting better. Also propagated my water wisteria but it didn't do well so ill try again in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom