Fish stuck in Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a very unpleasant experience during a partial WC. One of my cories got sucked into the hose of pyhon while I was vacuuming the gravel. I did not see him as he is the same color as the gravel brown and black. He was just the right size to fit in the hose. As soon as I saw him go up I closed the valve. I disconected the hose at the spot before the valve and tried to let him swim out himself , but his dorsal fin prevented him from moving out. I finally had to reatach the hose and reverse the water flow on the python to get him out. It was like the fat kid in Charlie and the Choclate Factory. He seems O.K. I don't see any injuries and he is swimming around, but I am still concerned about him. Is there anything I can do, that will ensure he will be O.K. Also Is there some kind of screen that I could use on my Python to prevent this in the future.

be careful, pay close attention to him, I had a juvenile angel get sucked up, the suction pulled blood to its fins and it died not to long after that.

The cories are stronger I know but it got up in the pipe like Augustus Gloop.

you could use pantyhose over it. i have never had a problem in all the years even small baby shrimp are able to escape. though on my i dont leave the hose on the whole time once the suction starts i turn it off so i dont waste water.

Back
Top Bottom