Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxruss8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been doing lots of research on freshwater aquariums lately since I got a 10 gallon tank for Christmas and subsequently got another 10 gallon tank 2 weeks ago. One of the main things I've read about is cycling the tank before adding fish. I get the idea behind it, it makes sense. The first 10 gallon tank I set up on Dec. 26th, ran it for 2 days without fish and then added 6 fancy guppies. At that time, I didn't know about cycling. Two weeks later I added 2 mollies. All of the fish were doing great. The only issue I encountered was the tank clouded up for a few days. In late January one of my mollies died. The tank had a nitrate/nitrite spike. I did a full water change and ever since all of the fish have done great and the water quality has been near perfect. I do perform weekly 30% water changes. So, was I just lucky? After what I've read, since I didn't cycle my tank all of my fish should have died. Well, they didn't.

To add to that, my second 10 gallon tank I started 2 weeks ago had pretty much the same thing happen, except I haven't had any fish die yet. I let it run for about 2 days, then added 2 guppies and 2 danios. 3 days later I added 2 glass cats and 1 velvet swordtail. So far they are all healthy and happy, and the water is in great shape (clear and free of nitrates/nitrites). Was I lucky a second time?

Now that I know the proper way to set up a tank, I will probably properly cycle my next tank. I just thought it was odd that I have 2 healthy uncycled tanks when all the literature says all my fish should be dead or unhealthy. Thoughts?

Could be a number of reasons.
If you use Prime as your water treatment/dechlorinator is helps to detoxify ammonia and nitrite
If you have live plants they could also have been absorbing some of the bad stuff.
Fish with a good immune system can sometimes tolerate poor conditions for a short period of time, but it may impact them long term.
In any case you are lucky! Congrats on the new tanks
Just a side note: glass cats and danios are shoaling fish that need to be kept in groups. Mollies might end up being too large for a ten gallon tank. Maybe hop on to aqadvisor and plug your stock in to get an idea of where you stand.

Back
Top Bottom