Floating stuff.. bah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, so here's whats going on:

I got a 29 gal , with a fluval 204. about 13 fish. small 1-3 inches. pleco, 2 loaches , and various livebearers.

Water is not cloudy, but I've been noticing a lot of small particles (like food, poop, etc) just floating around .. and enuf of it to be annoyingly visible all the time.

I did about 40% water change, vacuum, and filter media change 1 week ago..

any thoughts??

oh they are fed very small amount once in the morning and once in the evening.

Thanks!

Throw a layer of filter floss in your filter to catch the small stuff....or go a bit further and get a Magnum HOT with a micron filter and run it on your tank 10-20 hours weekly.

If you like absolutely crystal clear water, sure. But...adding filter floss to your power or canister filter works about 75% as well, and costs a whole lot less.

Can I buy filter floss at Petsmart or only online. I'm looking at liveaquaria.com and they have 7 oz. of it for $4. I have a 20 gal. with a HOB filter. Also, is 7 oz. plenty for my filter?

You'll need to change the floss on a regular basis. I need to do it weekly, but havn't been. Build up of junk in the floss will reduce the water flow as is expected.

Just to answer your other question, Mofo2713, I got 7 oz. of filter fiber at DrsFosterSmith. It's about the size of a bed pillow. I only run it occasionally in a corner filter, so I think this bag will last for years and years!

DAMN.....didn't know 7 oz. was as big as a bed pillow....guess it's pretty light :) 7oz of filter floss here I come...

Mofo2713 said:
Can I buy filter floss at Petsmart or only online. I'm looking at liveaquaria.com and they have 7 oz. of it for $4. I have a 20 gal. with a HOB filter. Also, is 7 oz. plenty for my filter?

Most petshops/aquarium shops regularly carry filter floss....at least the ones I go to do.

Oh well, just ordered some filter floss and a micron pad from liveaquaria.com. See which one works better. Hope this helps my "suspended particle" situation...

Mofo2713, let us know which one you like and how it works for you. The filter floss bag is the size of a standard pillow, not a king pillow or anything, but it's still a good amount and should last you a long time. I remember when I ordered it and it came, I wondered, I only ordered 7 oz -- why is the box so big? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom