Florida Gar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed the other day towards his head a slightly raised bump, that is has a reddish color to it.. Wondering if anyone had a idea what it could be there are two arowanas in the tank with him and they are fine.

thanks, yea i looked at my gar last night, the bump is slightly raised and it has a sorta whitish color on it.

I posted the pic it should be under my profile or in freshwater disease... if anyone has an idea let me know

dr.diggler....

I tried to PM you regarding my efforts to find out more about treating your gar. I consulted with one of my favorite on-line gar 'experts' and here's what he recommended:

my guess is that this is some sort of lesion due to a parasite, but it COULD also be bacterial. here is my suggestion, especially since gars are quite sensitive to medications. use a formalin based medication, something like quick cure, along with a full treatment of melafix AND pimafix on the gar. the quick cure should probably be run for 3-4 days, the melafix/pimafix combo should be run for 7 days. BEFORE doing any of this, there should be about a 40% water change in the tank. if possible, have a hospital tank set up (with 60% old tank water, and the rest new). keep me posted on how things go. this should hopefully help with the gar. another thing that is possible is if they can net up the gar, gob some neosporin on it. there should be plenty applied since some will come off in the water. i know this sounds weird, but it really works!

I noticed that my last PM to you is still sitting in my outgoing box and was never sent for some reason. My apologies!! Hope this information is helpful!

Back
Top Bottom