Fluval 206 Leaking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luckeystiff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my Fluval 206 for around 6-7 months now, and on Monday night it leaked across the floor. I have since then replaced the gasket on the filter and now it will only leak if I do not limit the flow with the valve (Aqua Stop?) that leads to the aquarium. When I don't limit it, it appears to be leaking from the valve, but if I leave it for a while, I can see a trickling coming from where the power chord leaves the can, as well as beneath the handle.

Could it be that the leak is coming from the valves and not the filter itself? I have made sure that the filter has no reason to leak (no cracks and or defects)

Could anyone else who has had a similar issue share their findings and/or advice?

Thanks.

Hi. I have a Fluval 306, similar but a bit bigger. Mine leaked from the gasket because I hadn't put the top part on straight enough. I suspect it kinked the gasket. I take more care now and it hasn't happened again. Any help?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for replying!

I have all ready replaced the gasket, but now I believe that all of the leaking is caused by the valve and it has been leaking in between the panels of the top of the filter and then exiting from beneath the handle.

Make sure you push the top (motor housing) down even, and secure with the bottom. Even after you lock the side clasps in place push down again on the top to make sure it's on good. If you think the Aqua stop valve is leaking, but another and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for replying!

I've been planning on replacing it soon, but my LFS is 30min away and it's hard for me to get a drive unless my parents are driving there anyway.

My only experience with the 206 lasted about a month. I purchased one online and I suspect it may have been dropped because the part that secures the intake hose was cracked (but still usable). I also observed a slight leak and a terrible humming noise. I exchanged it at a big box store and the new filter appeared to be in good shape. Though it did not leak it still produced a noise that could be heard even with the cabinet doors closed. I later returned the second filter for a refund. Not sure if I personally would try another one or get a different brand (such as a SunSun model).

I am defiantly going to stick with Fluval for as long as I can because my tank is the F-90 kit, so the input and output are drilled, and I'm not sure if I could fit another canister's output and input to the bulkheads.

I have also had no issues prior to this with this filter and it has made no sound aside from the water rushing through it, which was muffled by the cabinet.

Was not intending to dissuade you since you've had your canister for a while. Just sharing an experience with the product.
I've heard of folks swapping out the stock ribbed Fluval tubing with clear vinyl tubing. Given this, if you do decide to switch brands it should be possible.

My sunsun ' s are dead silent and eat fish poo like a clam!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My sunsun ' s are dead silent and eat fish poo like a clam!

What's the inside diameter of the SunSun tubing? I wonder if it is close in size to the ribbed Fluval tubing.

Every one is different

My 206 has been going for two months with no issues. I would recommend lubing the gaskets with a grease or lube of some kind. It's something i do on cars and rc's also. I always lube to keep them good.

Back
Top Bottom