fluval chi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought a fluval chi 5gal to use as a fry tank. Anyone have any experience with these tanks? Just want to know if there are any malfunctions or problems I should look out for. I know about jumping fish buy being a platy and molly fry tank I shouldn't have that issue. Will also add the vine accessory that sits on top of the water to detour it.

I've had one on my kitchen counter for about a year now with no issues. The filter and the light sucks, especially since you have to get wet to turn on the light...so mines never on. I keep my wife's crowntail in there with some black sand and some bamboo. I really like the cleanliness and the noise from the water fountain. I not sure it's the best set up for fry but I guess it's worth a shot, I prefer 20g longs with sponge filters for my fry.

Yeah I'm not sure it's great either but my wife insists on keeping the fry alive.. (I'm all for leaving them in the main tank and letting the fittest survive).. we've already set up 6 tanks this past 2 months alone.. I wouldn't let her have anything bigger. Lol

Yeah I'm not sure it's great either but my wife insists on keeping the fry alive.. (I'm all for leaving them in the main tank and letting the fittest survive).. we've already set up 6 tanks this past 2 months alone.. I wouldn't let her have anything bigger. Lol

It only gets worse, I've got three over 150g and a total of 9-11 running at all times.

Also.. the filter really seems to be crap.. which is odd coming from a well known filter manufacturer.. I added mulm from an established tank and it quickly made a huge mess of the tank that seems to be settling in and not filtering out. Thankfully I don't have any gravel except a few river rocks so it shouldn't be too hard to syphon out.

HUKIT said:
It only gets worse, I've got three over 150 and a total of 9-11 running at all times.

Haha.. I'm just glad I gave away my 160 gallon last week that my python lived in.. or else she'd try to get that stocked next.

So far I've got a 55, 45long, 36, 26, 20, 10, 5 and 1.5 I'm running out of water to fill them all.

Also.. the filter really seems to be crap.. which is odd coming from a well known filter manufacturer.. I added mulm from an established tank and it quickly made a huge mess of the tank that seems to be settling in and not filtering out. Thankfully I don't have any gravel except a few river rocks so it shouldn't be too hard to syphon out.

Like I said the filter and light sucks, but for $55 you can't expect to much anymore I suppose. The larger Chi comes with a remote to turn on the light which would be great, just something about water and electricity that doesn't mix well.

And remember the earth is three quarters water, there's always room for more tanks.

Yeah I saw that one. Just figured it was an extra 2.2 gallons of height I wouldn't need.

pantherspawn said:
So far I've got a 55, 45long, 36, 26, 20, 10, 5 and 1.5 I'm running out of water to fill them all.

I wish I had that many tanks!! :) I just have 1 ten gallon. It will probably stay that way for a while....

My Chi makes a grinding noise, picking up air, if you let the water get down more than an inch or so.

The cats like to drink out of it.

That's all that I have to say about that particular tank :s

Yeah well last month it all started because my son wanted a frog.. so we were going to get a small setup for that with a fish or two. That turned into a qt tank.. which turned into a puffer tank, then a planted tank, now the babies are starting so they need a tank and the lone betta moved out of his fish bowl. Lol I have a feeling a cichlid tank is coming in the near future. My biggest problem is that I had a bunch of reptiles and rodents at one point.. and had many aquariums laying around from upgrading or breeding mice. Now I only have 1 snake left and a horde of glass.. which to my wife seems to think they "must" be used. I don't even want to add the numbers as to how much money I've spent the past two months alone "saving" money by using tanks we already had. Not to mention we've already bought four brand new ones as well.. ugh

jetajockey said:
My Chi makes a grinding noise, picking up air, if you let the water get down more than an inch or so.

The cats like to drink out of it.

That's all that I have to say about that particular tank :s

I think my cats afraid of the fish lol either that or she knows I don't truly want a cat and stays on best behavior lol.

I know what you mean. Fish,plants,rock,gravel,sand,and decor can be expensive!!!! My 10 gal has one small cave. Ha, hopefully I can get a huge castle in it pretty soon!

maddybrat said:
I know what you mean. Fish,plants,rock,gravel,sand,and decor can be expensive!!!! My 10 gal has one small cave. Ha, hopefully I can get a huge castle in it pretty soon!

We've built almost all of our decor using slate and river rock. Once you get the hang of it, it can be pretty fun and you can be very creative. Not to mention save a boat load of money.

Yeah saving money=good! Especially when your job is a babysitter who works for 8 buck an hour.. It doesn't help that whenever I have money I want to spend it till it's gone! Ha.

Hey baby sitting for 8 an hour isn't half bad. My daughter only makes four or five haha.

Hey baby sitting for 8 an hour isn't half bad. My daughter only makes four or five haha.

your daughter is getting paid well below minimum wage. i dont care what the job is im not working below minimum wage im an American thats what we hire illegals for haha jk

Homer8 said:
your daughter is getting paid well below minimum wage. i dont care what the job is im not working below minimum wage im an American thats what we hire illegals for haha jk

Well she's only 14 and babysitting family and close friends. Therefore she IS my immigrant haha

Back
Top Bottom