fluval edge tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm really liking the look of these tanks. Does anyone own one who can give me the pros and cons?

What I'm thinking:
Small size (the largest size is 12 gallons), so limited fish size and number--that's a con.

Beautiful, enchanting look with no top or bottom to weigh it down, visually. It looks like it's floating--absolute plus.

I was planning to put back to use my old 29 gallon, but these tanks have a definite charm.

I'd like to know if anyone is happy with their fluval edge.

I think these tanks are a nice looking smaller tank, but for the money you can definitely do something bigger. I can't deny that the Fluval Edges have their charm, but I think you can get more mileage out of your 29 gallon.

I used to have an old edge setup (the old kind with halogen lighting). However I recently upgraded to a normal 10 gallon and it's working out MUCH better for me.

Here are some cons I've found while keeping it up for a year. The thing I hated most about it was that you're VERY limited trying to get your hands in the dang top. Especially if you're planting... pain in the butt. Also, trying to catch fish is another stressful thing. I swear, that hole just makes me angry. Also, if you're looking to keep Cories or any other type of fish that take in oxygen (Gourami, betta), it's really a hit or miss. Mine never really found the hole in the top and struggled the entire time hitting it's head on the top glass. So I lowered the water level because of it (this takes away from the beauty b/c it's not full with water).

Some pros include the looks, obviously. The AquaClear filter is also another plus. The newer versions of this tank also has better lighting in my opinion. The halogens just got too hot and heated the water which I disliked.

If you're looking to plant it and want easy access to plant, then I would say a normal aquarium is the better choice. However, if you don't mind being a little patient with the hole in the top then this tank is for you... However after my one year experience with this tank, I've really had enough of it.

Back
Top Bottom