Foamy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabrehorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently did a 25% water change. A few days later, I noticed there was foam floating on the top of the water. Is this something I should be concerned about? How do I get rid of it?

On another note, what sort of supplies in the area of preventative medicine should I keep stocked? And can anyone suggest a decent water test kit that gives actual numbers?

Thanks

Well, foam could mean a couple of things...some sort of foaming agent left behind by traces of a soap or detergent on something you used, or a lot of protein (usually from food) in a warm tank.

The only medicine that you really should have on hand would be freshwater aquarium salt. Other than that, there are so many types of meds out there. It wouldn't be possible to have a med for every fish disease. Well, it would, but the meds expire and it would be a waste of money.

Melafix isn't a bad thing to have on hand, but I wouldn't say its required. Primafix is the same way...handy, but not mandatory.

with good fish husbandry (wifery?) a sick fish should be a rare occurance.

We tried to stock meds for diseases that are common in African Cichlids. We have since thrown them all away because they expired. We haven't had a sick fish in ages (except for the Betta but his sickness is still unknown).

Right now I have 2 Dwarf Flame Gouramis, 1 blue Gourami, 6 zebra danios, 4 diamond tetras, 2 cory cats, 1 weather loach, 1 small pleco, and 1 chinese algae eater, all in a 20H with a 20-40 AquaTech power filter and a PenPlax Undergravel. I have been using Tetracycline tablets for popeye as well as some freshwater aquarium salt, ammonia eliminator (can't remember what brand off hand) and some NitraBan.

Something I was thinking: Perhaps I have too many fish in there. Is this true?

What kind of pleco is it?

I would get rid of the UGF. They are Nitrate factories. Which fish are experiencing the popeye? Whichever one it is should be QTd during treatment. That way you don't have to treat the entire tank.

I would stop using the ammonia eliminator and NitraBan. They are unnecessary. Just do water changes to keep the levels down. Are you having any ammonia readings? In a cycled tank the level will always be 0. Is the aquarium salt part of the popeye treatment? If not, you may not want to use it. Some fish, such as cories and plecos, do not fare well with much salt.

I think it's just a standard pleco, not very big, maybe 1.5 inches.
The UGF I was thinking of getting rid of when I do a full water change.
The fish with popeye is a diamond tetra. The salt, I was told, would help the water hardness, which pretty high on the hard side. The box also says it would help heal time with my blue gourami's open sore. I do also have Melafix. Hope this helps.

Fishyfanatic said:
I would get rid of the UGF. They are Nitrate factories.

All filters are Nitrate Factories!! If you remove a filter and your Nitrates lower it is because your tank is not converting the Ammonia and Nitrite properly!! UGFs are a really good idea because they prevent anaerobic pockets building up in your substrate.

Perhaps I have too many fish in there. Is this true?

Yeah...your overstocked.Even if they are all pretty small at the moment.

The common pleco gets huge as far as freshwater fish go, 1' 6" or so I think.The chinese algea eater gets to 8" or so too.....this means that even if it were ok now its going to get much worse in the future.

If 20H means twenty high then the smaller footprint of the tank should be considered when stocking too...less room to swim left to right,but more up and down if you get my meaning.

How long has the tank had fish in it?

How long has it been THIS populated?

If you could get the test kit suggested and post the results it would be very helpful.It could be that the overpopulation coupled with poor water quality is leading to much of the illness mentioned as illness is often stress related and those conditions induce stress.

Your finding a few things out a little late and thats probably a little frustrating but your on your way to a healthier, happier tank.

Keep us posted.

All filters are Nitrate Factories!!

Under gravel filters are notorious for being nitrate factories because most individuals do not know how to properly maintain them. Because of that the nitrates sky rocket. Plus, hob and canister filters are much more efficient. Waste gets trapped under the plates and just causes higher levels. The hob and canisters are easier to clean and maintain.

UGFs are a really good idea because they prevent anaerobic pockets building up in your substrate.
If you perform deep gravel vacs (like you should), this will not be a problem.

The UGF I was thinking of getting rid of when I do a full water change.

Good idea.

The salt, I was told, would help the water hardness, which pretty high on the hard side.
I've never heard of this. That doesn't mean it's not true, but I've never heard of it before. Have you tested the hardness? What exactly was the reading? Hardness and pH IMO are not that big of a deal. The lfs that you purchase from most likely use the same water source or have similar levels and the fish have already become adapt to it. I wouldn't worry about it. My Rams are doing just fine at 275+ hardness (I forget the exact level). :D

is the foam from looking on top of the tank?
and if you look under does it look sorta like bubbles?
with stuff like leaves and stuff on it?
we thought that we had a foam problem but it ended up our gouramis were making bubble nests. seem they liked there new home.
i could just be guessing but when you said that i thought of that instantly cause i opened the top and omg it was a huge pile of what looked like foam but on closer examination it was a bubble nest?
just want to make sure that its not that?

Fishyfanatic said:
All filters are Nitrate Factories!!

Under gravel filters are notorious for being nitrate factories because most individuals do not know how to properly maintain them. Because of that the nitrates sky rocket. Plus, hob and canister filters are much more efficient. Waste gets trapped under the plates and just causes higher levels. The hob and canisters are easier to clean and maintain.

[If you perform deep gravel vacs (like you should), this will not be a problem.

These are really good points - I don't deep vaccum cause I use a layered substrate so the UGF (I run it on reverse with a really slow trickle). And I can see your point about ppl not cleaning them properly - I still say that UGFs are brilliant - My tank has been very succesful for years but I was finding that after about 12 months of operating alot of the plants started to struggle (There is a name for this but I can never remember it) I set up the UGf in reverse and the tank has been running about a year and a half with no problems at all.

Anyhoo - I'm typing too much now, Point taken and previous comment cheerfully withdrawn - Get rid of the UGF.

Not to further hijack this thread into a UGF discussion, but UGFs are actually very easy to clean. Waste doesn't get "trapped" under the plates--it is conveniently deposited there. Stick your siphon hose down the uptube and you will suck a lot of junk out. That said UGF's should not be used as the only filter and are not good for heavy root feeding plants. You will see a lot more junk floating around your tank and in the gravel if you pull the UGF out. I consistently have <5 ppm nitrates on my overstocked and neglected tank. (By the way, I am this forum's self appointed defender of UGF's-could you tell?)

Back on subject, Have you recently added any melafix? That really makes the water foam. I keep Melafix and Pimafix on hand as well as salt (mostly because I run 100% RO) and whatever is left over from the last treatment. I also have several medicated foods. The test kit scfatz linked to is a very good kit at a good price.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
Not to further hijack this thread into a UGF discussion, but UGFs are actually very easy to clean. Waste doesn't get "trapped" under the plates--it is conveniently deposited there. Stick your siphon hose down the uptube and you will suck a lot of junk out. That said UGF's should not be used as the only filter and are not good for heavy root feeding plants. You will see a lot more junk floating around your tank and in the gravel if you pull the UGF out. I consistently have <5 ppm nitrates on my overstocked and neglected tank. (By the way, I am this forum's self appointed defender of UGF's-could you tell?)

Here Here

Back
Top Bottom